CHAPTER 28 : APOLOGIES DON'T MAKE YOU SMALL

|Manik's POV|

'What do you wanna say?' I asked Nandini who was sitting across my desk, sipping her coffee.

'Actually, I was thinking about everything that happened in the last few months and I feel that whatever Inaaya has gone through is unfair.' Nandini replied.

I looked at her, perplexed.

'I mean, everything you did to her, even though you did it as an act of revenge, was unfair to her. I'm sure that her feelings are hurt and she must be completely broken.' She explained.

'So?' I prompted, almost aware of where this conversation was heading.

'So, I think she deserves an apology, which I think is not enough and you should give her something more than that to her that might repay at least quarter of what she has gone through.' Nandini said.

I kept my gaze down in shame. That's when I realised the sins I have committed. They couldn't be counted as mistakes.

'Manik...' Nandini said, placing her right palm on mine.

I couldn't meet her eyes.

'I know it's hard for you to accept your mistakes and apologise because you are...' She was saying while I intruded.

'Egoistic?' I suggested.

'I didn't mean to say that.'

'But I know I am egoistic. I've only realised it now. I've been nothing but an arrogant bastard to everyone in my life and it's high time that I change myself.' I confessed.

'I'm glad that you realised.' Nandini remarked.

'I should've realised it earlier but it's okay now. And you are right about Inaaya. She doesn't deserve what she is going through right now. I'll apologise to her.' I said.

Nandini smiled.

'And this job is very important to her, otherwise she would have left this job by now.' Nandini stated.

I pondered over her statement and felt that she was right. Now, I knew exactly what to do.

'I suppose you know what to do now.' Nandini asked.

'I do.' I replied.

'Good, I'm gonna get back to work now.' She said, getting up and kissing me on my cheeks and leaving my cabin, leaving her exotic fragrance.

I smiled to myself, feeling my cheeks that now had the mark of her lipstick.

* * *

I had called Inaaya to my cabin and now, she was standing in front of me asking how she could help me.

'Sit.' I ordered, gesturing to the chair before me.

'Sir?' She wasn't sure she had heard me right.

'Sit.' I repeated.

'Okay.' She said slowly sitting on the chair. She wore a perplexed expression as I had never told her to have a seat before.

'So Inaaya, I wanted to talk to you about something.' I said, clearing my throat.

'Yes, sir?'

'I know the past few weeks...or months have been difficult for you. I cannot say that I understand everything you've gone through but I can say that it wasn't fair. You didn't deserve any of it.' I said.

She looked down, realizing what I was talking about.

'Nothing I do can give justice to you but I wanted to say from the bottom of my heart.....that I'm really sorry for everything you had to go through just because of my revengeful and arrogant mind.' I said.