49: Perfume

NIALL
No One Like You-Scorpions

"I think that's everything." Elle sighed, her voice weak as she zipped up the large suitcase resting onto my bed.

"Thank you for helping me pack angel." I wrapped my arms around her waist, hugging her to my body as her back pressed against my chest. She rolled her head on my shoulder, her hands resting over mine.

"Of course. I couldn't let you risk forgetting anything important, like your moisturizer for example." She teased, chuckling slightly.

"You know I can't live without that." My addition to her joke only made her laugh more, her breath faltering when I twisted her around suddenly, pulling her back into me.

"Like I can't live without you." I smiled down at her, caressing her cheek with my thumb.

"You and your lines, Mr. Horan." She breathed out a short laugh, her arms wrapping around my neck. I sighed deeply, savoring what probably was the last time I'd get to hold her for a while. My smile dropped before I even realised it, making her furrow her eyebrows.

"Babe, what's wrong." She questioned, resting her forehead against mine.

"I don't wanna leave. Is it too late to decline the job?" I knew what I was talking about wasn't possible. I made the decision to take the coaching job on my own, but now that it was time for me to leave I wasn't so sure I made the right decision.

"Way too late. Schools start in three days, you should've technically been there already." She tittered, softly smiling as her eyes darted between mine. She was right, I was supposed to leave a couple days ago. Most of my things were already in the new flat I had rented, leaving just some of my clothes to take with me. But I was desperately trying to push my departure back to last minute. I didn't like this at all. I was terrified the distance would ruin us, like it had already ruined two of my relationships. I couldn't go through that again, not with her.

"I'm gonna miss you darling." I sighed in defeat, nuzzling my face into her neck. The vanilla scent of her perfume took over my senses, just one more thing of hers I'd miss.

"I'll miss you too Ni. So much." She ran her delicate fingers through my hair at the side of my head, massaging my scalp in the process. I hummed, puckering my lips against her skin before pulling my face out of her neck. I reached into my pocket, retrieving the one thing I wanted to give her before I left. I held the small object in my hand in front of her, it capturing her attention.

"This is my new house key. Take it. Come see me whenever you want, I'll be happy to have you." She smiled at my words, taking the small silver key from my hand. She didn't say anything. She just kissed me. Her soft, cherry lips were all I needed in my life. Having to leave her behind was one of the most difficult things I ever had to do, but I was hopeful it wouldn't be for long.

She came along with me until the airport, which I was glad about because I wasn't ready to part ways with her just yet. Though, I don't think I ever will be. And that was completely crazy. When I first expressed my interest in her, I never expected I'd fall like never before. I didn't plan for her to become such a crucial part of my life to the point where I was having trouble imagining it without her. I just wanted a temporary fix, at least that was what I had kept telling myself that night I saw her at the club. But thinking back, I don't I ever really wanted just that from her.

We shared one final kiss once all my luggage was out of the car. I didn't care that we were at the doors of an airport, I kissed her like we were the only people on earth. And she let me, holding me close with her hands in my hair. She told me she loved me, something I'll never get tired of hearing. I told her I loved her too, but I doubt I'll ever be able to explain to her exactly how much. That was the last thing we said to eachother before I walked away, leaving her with my driver who'd return her to her flat. We didn't say the word goodbye, because it wasn't a goodbye.