40: Half A Heart

ELLE
Heartbreak Weather-Niall Horan

"Roll the camera." I watched from a few steps behind the heavy equipment as an interviewer held a microphone in front of Niall. Him and his team had just won a game, moving a step closer to the Champions League final. I was immensely proud, the extra work seeing to finally pay off. It was hard watching him wear himself out day after day, refusing to admit just how exhausted he was. But I could tell. However, I never pushed him to admit anything.

"Hey everyone, Valerie Bronson here with Chelsea's Niall Horan." She spoke with a wide smile towards the camera before turning on her heels to face Niall. Still drenched in sweat from his game, he smiled and nodded as she greeted him with a handshake.

"That was a great game just now. I bet you're all very happy with yourselves." She spoke and I had to focus my attention on the conversation to be able to hear it from the distance, tuning out the chattering from interviews with other players happening all around.

"Thank you. We're very proud. We've been working hard and Bayern wasn't an easy rival. Those guys really had us put up a fight." He lightly shook his head, running a hand through his hair. I swear everything this man does is attractive to me.

It's getting kinda ridiculous.

"But you came on top, like you always do. All of England is ecstatic to have you move further into the tournament." Her voice was over enthusiastic, which could be a bit overwhelming at times.

"I'm definitely happy about that. Even if I only got on the field on the last thirty minutes of the game." He sighed, though he kept smiling.

"And why was that?" She quickly asked. Subtly gulping, he shifted a bit and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Been struggling with an old injury lately, but I'm pushing through." He nodded his head as reassurance, never failing to keep the eye contact to showcase his self assurance.

"We all wish you a speedy recovery."

"Thanks." He cleared his throat, keeping his tone serious and almost emotionless.

"And you recently turned thirty, isn't that right? Happy belated birthday." He smiled a bit wider, trying to be polite.

"Yeah, almost a month ago. Thank you." He dropped his arms to his side, restlessly moving his feet around in tiny steps as he stood.

"What did you do on your special day?" His eyebrows furrowed at the girl's question, since it had nothing to do with football like he was supposed to be interviewed about.

"Had a little gathering with some friends. It was nice. They surprised me actually which was fun." He glanced at me, smiling fondly at the memory before turning his attention back to the interviewer.

"That's great. Who organised it?" I could suddenly see what she was trying to do all along. Even though we had no reason to hide anymore, we had technically not gone public either. Sure, we've been photographed together again since then when we went to a concert but that was about it. Niall caught on to the interviewer's goal too, clearing his throat before speaking.

"It was a joint effort actually." He dodged the question perfectly, but I could tell the girl wouldn't give up until she got what she wanted. I doubt she was even from a sports channel at this point.

"I hope you had a great time. Who did you bring along tonight?" She pressed, making Niall remain silent for a second before he came up with an answer.

"Some good friends." His smile was now forced, I could tell. But he was not really lying. Along with me was Bri and Liam, who turned out to be quite the football fan. I knew that was not the answer the girl was hoping to get and she'd definitely had pushed for more if she hadn't ran out of time. She wrapped up the interview quickly and thanked Niall for his time before he moved further down the line to the next and final interviewer, who was luckily interested solely on his career. However, my ears were still glued to that after hearing one specific question.