Chapter 16: It Goes Without Saying

Start from the beginning

**

   "Okay, Kassy, I love you too." I said, ending the phone call between Kassatt and me. I sighed deeply and I threw the mobile onto the other couch, leaning backwards sinking deeply into the pillows. Luckily, she wasn't crying as she picked up the phone but I could hear, could feel, that she was utterly upset. I tried hard to let her know how unimportant her mark was. In 7 or 8 years Inchaallah, no one will ever ask about it, will they? Definitely not.
   But I was still quite disappointed because she hadn't asked about me since the beginning of the vacation. And during this phone call she even didn't ask about anything related to my awkward situation.. did she even know that I was living in a flat in England with five boys? Probably not. When it came to some details about my life she surprisingly became very forgetful.
   Before getting more frustrated than I already was since the 'Natalia-thing', I got up to climb up the stairs to my room and get dressed. On my way, I thought about how Zayn wouldn't like my plan at all but I felt the need to leave my 4 walls and get out a little.
   The door to my room was opened and I immediately headed over to the wardrobe, grabbing the next best outfit. After putting it on and fixing the scarf, I put my mobile phone, some money and my MP3 into my handbag, checked if all the windows of the flat were closed, put on my shoes and finally closed the door of the flat behind me and turned the key. Taking every two steps, I quickly reached the main gate and opened it. A gust of cool wind hit me and made me smile. How I loved the smell of fresh air, specially the British one. Honestly, I didn't know where to go, so I just headed to the direction on my right, counting the steps I was taking. The street was lively and I felt a little bit awkward and lonely. At step 56, I looked up and found myself in a promenade with a wide way for passants, flanked by shops on both sides. People with kids, dogs and/or plastic bags walked around, entering and coming out of the shops. Two groups of teenagers were gathered around a big fountain in the middle of the street. Some of them were smoking, some were throwing coins into the water and the others were just talking and laughing. I felt as if all the passersby were staring at me so I quickly took some steps forward, eyeing every shop I passed. When I walked past a clothes store of the Viola's Secret series, I smiled widely remembering the funny time I had spent in the store on that day in London. I carried on walking, thinking about the people I know. My family, my friends and finally the boys.
   My first priority was my family of course. The pain of missing them was killing me and I knew I could hardly live without them, my lovely and always busy mother and my chaotic and caring father. My friends used to come right afterwards, until they all began acting strangely and showing me less care and love and respect. From time to time, I decided to shut my heart upon the people around me so I won't get affected easily by their whims. Lately I realised that they had a different meaning for friendship than me. But when I think about the boys I get utterly confused.  I was worried about the fact of living with them and more nervous about me liking them. Because I do, very much actually. They had slowly become the brothers I never had but always wanted.
   My phone pulled me out of my thoughts and I quickly unzipped my handbag to take it out. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that it was Zayn and my hands became sweaty.
   "Hello?" I asked shyly after picking up.
   "Jenan, hey." He said in a husky voice. "How are things?"
   "Elhamdulellah, I can't complain." An old woman with a dog was approaching me and of course the dog had to bark just as he passed by.
   "What's that?" Zayn asked suspiciously. "That was a dog, wasn't it?"
   I sighed and gave the dog an annoyed look. "Yes, it was. A pit bull, actually."
   "Well.. take care of yourself please." He only answered, instead of the expected lecture about going out without telling anybody first or at uncertain times.
   "I only needed a walk and a bit of fresh air, that's all."
   "What bothers you?" he asked and I sighed again. Why did the boys understand me that much? Was I really like an opened book for them? Or for everyone?
   "Nothing." I muttered.
   "Don't lie. That won't wash with me."
   "Zayn, listen.." I began but he interrupted me.
   "No, now you listen, Jenna. If you have something on your mind you sometimes have to talk to somebody about it and not just lock it into your heart for like, forever."
   "Who said there's something on my mind?" I asked him and kicked a small stone with my feet. It hit a tree and bounced off.
   "Jen, you just got the news of your amazing marks and then you wander through the streets." He sighed impatiently.
   I walked towards a bench under the tree I just hit with the stone, and sat down. "Is it that clear?"
   "For me, it is." He replied. "Is it because of Natalia?"
   Playing with the fringes of my scarf, I asked: "Is it that obvious?"
   "Well, Liam told me that you called Harry first and I knew that Natalia was with him so I guessed you found out."
   "You should've told me!" I complained, sounding like a little kid.
   "We knew it would annoy you, besides that Harry didn't want you to know about it." He replied.
   "I know it shouldn't bother me but I can't help acting like a baby."
   "You don't act like a baby," he sighed. "You just act like someone who cares about his friend."
   "I know, I can't help it but attach too much importance to it, although actually it's even none of my business, Zayn." I mumbled.
   "Maybe you should talk with Harry about it all?" he suggested but I shook my head tightly and replied: "No, better not. It would only end up in an argument and I really don't feel like messing up with my friend who is about 3000 miles away."
   "Well.. I'm stumped. Sorry, Jenna."
   A small smile appeared around my mouth. "Never mind, Zayn. Thanks for caring."
   And the last thing he said to me before the connection broke off was "It goes without saying."

____________

Vote if you liked this chappie ;) x - S.