Part 3

I feel my heart leap into my throat as we make our way to his place. Not only am I nervous about going to his house, but I have to freaking sing in front of him. My nerves are getting to me when he clears his throat. "Don't be nervous. I won't judge you. People have good days and bad days. Trust me, I know how it feels when your voice won't cooperate with you." I smile and hold my arms close. "Most of the time, my voice sounds different when I sing in front of people. I can sing okay alone, but my nerves get to me, and I sound terrible when others are around." He gives me a sympathetic look and nods. "I understand. Just breathe, and you'll do just fine."

We make it to his place, which is actually not far from mine, and we head in. We make it to his studio, and I feel my heart beating in my throat. He goes to get some water bottles, and I look around. Hands in my pockets, I glance around the room. It's very nice, and it's kind of fancy. I take out my phone and saw my sister sent me a snap. I opened it and it was her singing very off-key. I laugh and record a response. "You sound absolutely terrible. You sound like a dying cat." She replies with some sass. "You can't do better." I record my response and roll my eyes. She was trying to sing Without Me by Halsey. I closed my eyes and gave it my best shot. It's not terrible, but it could've been better. She sent a video back just simply saying I suck and asking where I was. I held up my phone to take a selfie, and Joel was standing there. I dropped my phone and gasped.

"God! I'm sorry, you scared me. I was just messaging my sister back." He sat the bottles down and picked up my phone. He held the button and replied to my sister. "She is with me for her first lesson. No interrupting. Also, you need to practice more from what I heard. You do sound like a dying cat." He sent it, and I couldn't help but laugh. She replied and just said rude and have fun. Then told me not to scare him off. I apologized for her and he just chuckled. "You're good. Do you want to take a first day selfie?" I open Snapchat and pull up a filter with little devil horns. He rests his chin on my shoulder, and my breath gets caught in my throat. He makes a silly face, and I close one eye and stick my tongue out. I type first day of lessons and save it to my phone. I put the phone away, and he smiles.

"I have to say, your singing was pretty good. Now, can you do it in front of me?" I blush, realizing he heard me singing to her. "I can try." He sits down and pulls up some karaoke. "I want to see some potential I know you have. How about Hallelujah?" I take a deep breath and nod. He hits play and gives me a nod. He turns the volume to a nice level and then takes out his notebook. He writes something down, and I look back at the screen. 'You got this...'

"Your faith was strong but you needed proof. You saw her bathing on the roof. Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya. She tied you to a kitchen chair. She broke your throne and she cut your hair, and from your lips she drew the hallelujah. Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah..."

I held out the note, and then he paused the music. I started playing with my fingers, and he looked at me in surprise. "Well, for the bad, we can just add nerves. Other than that, that was amazing. I can definitely add slower, love songs to a plus. That was good. You sing louder when you are confident, so louder songs are a plus. Honestly, I can't say anything bad so far. You're just nervous, but when you get more relaxed, it'll be pretty much perfect." I smile and look at the floor. He turns towards the computer and searches another song. "Death of a Bachelor sound good?" I just stand there kind of awkward. "Yeah, let's try that." He skips ahead to some of the higher pitches. I breathe, and let it out.

"I'm walking the long road, watching the sky fall. The lace in your dress, tingles my neck, how do I live? The death of a bachelor, oh oh, letting the water fall, the death of a bachelor, oh oh, seems so fitting for, happily ever after, woo, how could I ask for more? A lifetime of laughter, at the expense, of the death of a bachelor..."

He pauses and takes his glasses off. "Have you ever thought of making a music channel or trying out for a show or anything?" I laugh nervously and shake my head. "Oh no, I couldn't." He fixes his glasses and stands up. "Y/n, you are very talented. You just need to believe in yourself more." I look down and feel tears coming. I blink them away and sigh. "I know, but I just can't." He looks confused. "Can't?" I shrug, and a tear rolls down my cheek. "I just don't think I'm good enough for anything. I'm sorry." He steps closer and wipes the tear from my face. "Sorry for what?" I look into his eyes, and he seems concerned. "Just for tearing up. You're supposed to be coaching me, and I'm kind of ruining the whole thing." He shakes his head and lifts his arms. I allow him to pull me in and hold me. It feels so nice. I've never been held like this, and my body relaxes. We just stand there for a moment, and then he pulls away. I wish he didn't.

"It's alright. Let's be done for now. You're doing great." I wipe my eyes and nod. "I'm still sorry." He shakes his head and hands me a water bottle. "Here, drink this, I'll be right back." I take a drink, and he leaves the room. I put the bottle down and can't help but feel my heart swoon. I take a deep breath and feel my heart race.

"Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars. In other words, hold my hand. In other words, darling kiss me... Fill my life with song, and let me sing forever more. You are all I long for, all I worship and adore. In other words, please be true! In other words, I love you..."

I take another drink and take out my phone. I open my phone, and saw my sister texted me. She says she got a plane ticket and will be flying in tomorrow to visit for a few days. I reply okay and tell her that I teared up and told him I don't think I'm good enough and she told me that I need to see that I can do it and see that he can see my potential. I told her about the hug, and she said that he may like me. I doubt it, but tell her I got to go. I put my phone away, and he comes back in. "Sorry about that. I had to tell Jonas that I need him to come over some time soon. I need to talk to him about something." I nod and put my hands in my pockets. "You're doing great, Y/n. I'll message you shortly, okay? Would you like a ride home?" I shake my head and grab my water. "I can walk. Thank you for today, though. I'll talk to you soon." He opens the door for me, and I walk down the hall. I dig out my wallet, and I leave about thirty dollars on the hallway table with a note saying 'Gas Money' with a smiley face.

I head out the door and make my way home. I allow some tears to roll down my face as I walk. 'I'm such an idiot. Why did I cry like that? Now he's going to never talk to me again.' I continue walking, and just enjoy the quiet walk home...