Chapter Eight: Eliana

I forced my eyes open to find myself in unfamiliar surroundings. I looked down to see Ivan sitting to my right with his head rested in my lap, his hand wrapped around mine.

"It was real," I whispered lifting my free hand to stroke his hair. It was dark outside, but the moon was barely visible. "You should get some sleep," I whispered.

His head shot up instantly and he looked over to me. "You're awake," he exclaimed, his lips crashing to mine.
I let out a soft whimper as he pulled back. "Do not ever scare me like that again."

"I am sorry," I mumbled. We sat for a few moments in silence. "Is this real?" I asked him, my head hanging low in embarrassment.

"Look at me," he used his fingers to turn my chin toward him. "I am real."

"How do I know that?" I replied nervously, "that is exactly what you would say in a dream."

"I am here Elle, and I assure you, if we were not in the middle of a hospital I would show you just how real I am," he growled, growing impatient.

"Sorry," I blushed, looking away. "I'm always saying the wrong things."

His expression softened. "It is alright love," he spoke pecking the top of my head.

"How did you find my mother's ring?" I asked, looking down at the small piece of jewelry.

"The men that were responsible for that night, sold her ring to a merchant. Luckily, I had reached out to the merchants in the area offering a reward if they had come across the ring. I've had it for years, waiting for the moment that I could give it to you," he spoke.

"Thank you," I whispered, wrapping my arms around his neck. He snaked his arms around me and I don't know how I ever lived without his embrace.

"Now get better, so I can make you my wife," he smiled kissing the top of my head.

He held me in his arms, rocking us back and forth. I leaned over and took a swig of the elixir on my bedside table. It tasted disgusting but I didn't want a repeat of the night before. By my calculations, I had about three doses left.

"Is that it, or will I have to drink more?" I asked Ivan.

He let out a heartfelt chuckle. "My strong, adorable Ellie," he spoke. "You slay monsters, but are afraid of a little medicine?"

"You said you weren't going to call me that," I play pouted.

"Are you pouting?" He retorted in mock shock. "That's beside the point. You didn't stay awake until we got here."

"I believe if you revisit that conversation in your mind you'll find that your terms were more simply stated. You said 'if you stay awake until we return' you never specified where. I was awake as we rode up to the palace I remember that much," I teased back.

"I yield," he laughed raising his hands in mock surrender. "May I ask you a question?"

My heart sank. "Only as long as you are prepared for the fact that you may not like the answer," I replied releasing my arms from him looking away.