Chapter Five: Ivan

"Did you jump from the window?" She mocked. "We both know that's my move."

"The only regret I have is that I've hurt you," I spoke, pulling her into my chest. "Please give me a chance to show you that I won't do that again."

We stared into each other's eyes, our chests heaving with passion as we took deep breaths. "How many chances does a person get, Ivan? Each day for the last eight years was a chance. Each moment we interacted was an even bigger chance, and yet, you continued to treat me as if I'm nothing, so I became nothing. I'm a tool, a weapon for the crown used to protect the people. It is a burden I happily carry. I don't come from a noble bloodline, I'm not worthy of being your queen. You should have just let me die when you had the chance."

Pain stabbed at my heart. Was she going to let herself die when I came to her? Was that why she continued to push herself, despite the blood seeping through her wounds. She broke free from my arms, but I still held her bruised wrist. At the realization, I softened my grip. The courtyard emptied, as the stable hands and the maids went back inside to give us a moment. Only the guards remained.

"Eliana, I love you," she froze in her tracks. I used my fingers to tilt her head up to mine. "I always have and I always will," I spoke pressing my lips to hers.

She relaxed into the kiss and wrapped her arms around my neck. I deepened the kiss, pulling her against me. She quickly pulled back in shock.

"El-" I started, but interrupted with a harsh smack to my left cheek. My guards stepped forward defensively, but I held out my hand to stop them.

She ran to the stable and grabbed the reigns to a horse that already wore a saddle. "Eliana wait!" I called after her, as she bolted from the palace gates on horseback.

I stood frozen for a moment before gathering a horse of my own and taking chase after her. I rode for about an hour, following her tracks until I came across her horse bound to a tree.

I tied the reins to a tree trunk and followed a small path to a clearing. As I approached the clearing I could hear her weeping. My heart broke for her.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," she cried out. "He came to you, he tried to give you a chance but you ruined it. You're broken, and worthless, he deserves someone whole. I saw it in his eyes when he kissed me in that hospital bed. Regret," she spoke to herself.

There it was again, why did she think I regretted being with her? I thought back to our first kiss, it was magical. But then I felt the swarming regret over what she'd been through alone. Was she able to see that?

"You can't save them you can't save anyone," she mumbled to herself. "Maybe I should just go, leave. I have nothing here."

My heart pulsed at the mention of her leaving. "Please don't," I spoke coming out from behind a tree.

She looked up at me, fear in her eyes. I was taken aback, what had I done to make her fear me? She scrambled to her feet, backing away until her back was pressed firmly against a tree.

I slowly walked over to her.

"Please," she pled. "Don't come near me. Just leave me alone, Your Majesty. I'll come back but just stay away. I was okay when you were away."

"I told you I'd never leave you again, I won't break my promise, Ellie," I whispered stroking my hair.

"That's rich. You already made and broke that promise once, your highness. I can't do it again," she mumbled painfully.

"Please let me explain," I pled, stepping forward as she moved farther away from me. My heart ached

"Why are you doing this? You don't get to ignore me for years and then magically appear the one time in my fucking life I show any weakness. Hasn't the crown taken enough? I'm not even a person anymore, I'm just a shell," she screamed.

"I'm not here as the crown, Ellie, I'm here as the man who should have never you go," I pled.  I carefully stepped closer as if she could stab me at any moment because she could, and I would deserve it.