Chapter Four: Eliana

I could hear mumbling around me, but I could not hear what the voices were saying. I sighed inwardly and attempted to move.

A flash of Ivan in my home asking me to stop flashed across my mind. I pushed it out of my head. Ivan didn't care about me anymore, I was simply a tool for the kingdom. And I was alright with that.

"Eliana," a voice spoke pulling me to the surface.

I tried to ignore it, it was wrong for my mind to play such tricks on me.

"I'll never leave you again," Ivan spoke in my mind, holding my body flush against his.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I screamed bolting upright, gasping for air. A startled Ivan dropped my hand, his deep green eyes full of shock.

We stared at each other for a moment before he placed his hand on the back of my head and pressed his lips to mine. My entire body filled with a warmth I'd never known. Heat rose to my cheeks as he hungrily attacked my lips with his own. He pulled back slightly and a flash of regret danced across his features. It felt as if I'd been stabbed all over again.

"I thought I lost you," he spoke softly staring into my eyes. I looked away in an effort to hide the sting if hurt I felt from his remorseful expression.

"I'm sorry, I know what that's like," I bit back, hoping I'd affected him the way he did me. I pulled back the blanket and started to remove the medical tape from around the IV.

"Where are you going?" he asked placing a hand over mine.

"I'm leaving, I don't belong here." I carefully pulled out the small tube and applied pressure.

"You need to stay and rest," he spoke worriedly.

"Is that a statement or an order? Your majesty," I spoke with venom. He pulled back a bit and stared at me.

"Please Ellie, let me get the doctor," he spoke, looking a bit wounded.

"You may be a king now, but that doesn't mean you can call me that anymore," I replied coldly.

"Please, I'll be right back," he pled, leaving the room.

The moment he left the room, I quickly changed into my armor and boots. I grabbed my sheathed sword and looked around for an escape. The only door was the one Ivan had just walked through, and I didn't want to risk running into him again. I pushed open the large window and climbed up onto the sill. I was only on the second floor, so climbing down the uneven stone wall wouldn't be hard.

As my feet reached the ground, I heard Ivan and the doctor reenter the hospital wing. "Where is she?!" Ivan called out worriedly.

I felt bad about worrying him so I whistled loudly to gain his attention. When he came to the window, I gave a sarcastic smile and a dramatic curtsey. "Goodbye Your Majesty, and thank you. I wouldn't be who I am now without you," I yelled, my smile fading sadly.

"Eliana, wait!" Ivan yelled out.

"I am done waiting, Ivan!" A few people in the courtyard gasped at my informal way of addressing the king. "I have waited my whole life for you to show me that the person I knew is still in there. To show me that I wasn't alone. You finally come back and all you have for me is regret. I can't live like this," I yelled back painfully.

I turned and began to walk to the palace gates. I heard the stablehand and the maid gasp behind me. I turned to see the source of their shock and felt a tight grip around my wrist.