Chapter 21

Hattie’s POV

Even though all we wanted to do was cry we all pulled together and got to work after the doorbell rang. Patsy helped me get the women and cubs settled in their rooms for the night so they could sleep. We made introductions but I knew I wouldn’t remember names in my current state of mind. I will try again in the morning is all I could think.

When they were settled I went to what is now our bedroom. I will move all of my things in here tomorrow if I get the chance. I yawn opening the door. There was Marty in bed waiting for me. He eyes were drooping and returned my yawn. I walked over to his dresser and pulled out a t-shirt. Changing right in front of him with my back turned. I heard the covers rustling and before I could get my pants off too Marty was behind me.

He put one hand on my hip and used the other to move my hair to the side. Pulling my back to his front he started kissing my neck. “Don’t start what you can’t finish Mr. Alden.” I said breathlessly tilting my head to the side. Knowing we are finally married I am his and he is mine wishing that we could do all sorts of things on our wedding night or morning.

“Mrs. Alden you will finish that is for sure just not the way you think.” He scooped me up laying me on the bed. He laid down next to me running his hand down my side to my thigh and pushing my shirt up on his way back up. He leaned in and right before he kissed me said, “I have been planning this for a very long time.”

Over the next few days the men took care of the daunting task of disposing of the bodies of the cats and the wolves that died too. The cats were all buried in a mass grave in the woods. I suggested burning their bodies but that would have drawn too much attention to us Otto said. So the men all helped dig. Slowly but surely they buried them all.

In total we lost three members of this pack Klaira, Greg, and Kade. We had funerals for them, burying them in the pack cemetery. They told the authorities they were attacked by coyotes that we scared away. A pack member works in animal control and took care that no one from the government would come looking around.

Those that were injured are healing well, except for Sam. He hasn’t woken up. Patsy and I take turns sitting with him reading to him or watching his favorite shows on Netflix really loud hoping he will wake up. It has been two weeks since the attack but still nothing.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving which is what we are preparing for right now. Patsy is up sitting with Sam. I know she must be getting hungry as it is after seven and she wasn’t at dinner. Andrea was helping Sarah, Sally and me with preparations for tomorrow. She was one of the women who came with Tank. She is a wisp of a thing with brown hair and eyes to match. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met and her baby is due right around Christmas. With my hands covered on dough I knew she would help me out.

“Andi, would you mind taking some food up to Patsy? She never came down for dinner.” I turned my head to look at her.

“No problem Hattie I will make her a tray.” She went around the kitchen putting stuff on the tray.

She has been such a big help these last weeks. Her sweetness has helped all of us heal. Well having the cubs around hasn’t hurt either. They seem to bring joy with them everywhere. I have not seen a single person who didn’t stop to talk to them or coo at them when they walked by. Everyone always walks away from the cubs happier too. They are the ray of sunshine healing all of our broken hearts.

“Ok all set, I will take this up now. Is there anything special I should take up with me?” Andi asked.

On a whim I grabbed a Swiss cake roll out of the cabinet. “Take one of these too. They are Sam’s favorite. Maybe his favorite sweet will wake him up.” She smiles and puts it on the tray walking out of the room.