Chapter Seventeen: Dinner for three anyone?

Dacey's POV:

He seriously wanted me to go to dinner with him and his mother he was having a laugh. Well that was what I thought until I got pulled by the arm up to her small apartment. And now I knew that I was going to be bored. Well very bored indeed.

"Mother. I'm here." Oswald shouted as he opened the door. Then I saw Mrs. Cobblepot run to him and kiss his cheeks and then hug him so tight I thought that he could have exploded.

"Oswald, my baby Boy." She cheered. Then he hugged her back and said.

"Hello, mother." I could have puked. I wasn't into this lovey dovey shit. I wanted to go back to work at the police station. I wanted to see James and Harvey and for god sake even bloody Ed Nygma. This is how desperate I was.

"Oswald, you brought a guest?" She questioned and then she let go of her son and looked at me. She smiled as soon as she saw me. I smiled back to be polite. She then looked at Oswald who attempted to introduce us even though he and I both knew we had met each other before.

"Mother. This is Miss Dacey Strike. The woman I was telling you about." His mother then turned and looked at me again. So little Ozzy has been talking about me. One can only wonder what about.

"Mrs. Cobblepot pleasure to see you again. And thank you for inviting me around for dinner." I said to her. This was all fake. A facade. To make them both think I was back to being Mrs. Nice girl. I mean I still am pissed about the people who killed Brenden. And I am more pissed that I haven't a clue about the Mocking Bird project. I then saw Mrs. Cobblepot's eye's light up.

"Yes yes. I remember you.... The pretty girl. Come, besides come in." She then took my arm and lead me into the dining room where I sat down at thebesideOswald. I then watched as Mrs Cobblepot left the room presumingly to fetch us the food. As soon as she was out of sight my mood changed.

"You better tell me why I am here Penguin." I threatened him. He then took a sip of his tea that he poured for both him and I. He took a sip and placed his china white cup down on the table and then he looked at me and tried to act innocent.

"I don't have a clue to what you are on about?" He told me. He was lying and I knew he was. I stared at him and then as I was about to curse his name Mrs. Cobblepot walked through and placed a hot pot on the table. She lifted the stone lid.

The aroma of warm smelling cucumber soup filled my nose and I looked straight at Cobblepot. He smiled at me and then stood up and then took my bowl that was in front of me. He poured some soup in my bowl and then placed it in front of me and did the same for himself and his mother. Then he started to eat and so did I.

The soup warmed my insides up and traveled down my throat.I continued to eat whilst Mrs. Cobblepot asked questions.

"So Oswald how is work going?" She asked him. He finished what was his mouth and then looked at his mother and replied.

"Good mother. Mr. Maroni is being very kind to me indeed." He replied. I scoffed. I knew that Oswald was playing Maroni and working with Falcone and he was going to get himself killed.

Penguin was looking at me staring and then he cocked his eyebrows. I looked away from his gaze and then his mother turned and looked at me.

"Good, he is such a good boy is he not?" She asked me. Well, do I actually answer that truthfully? I looked at her and then said back.

"Yes, he is Mrs. Cobblepot. Though he does have his secrets." I said. Well, he did kill some people and return from the dead and I knew that he did not tell his mother everything but surely for her protection and that I respected. But I knew my mother could handle herself.

"Indeed I do and so do you, Little Dace." Oswald was now taking the piss. I looked at him and scowled but them I drank some more of the soup.

"Are you two dating?" She asked out of the blue. I nearly choked on my soup and ended up coughing awkwardly. Oswald looked at me and then he replied to his mother.

"Well, you know me and Dace are close mother. Very close indeed." He then wrapped his arm around my waist and I tensed a little. But this time something inside felt right. But I wanted to ignore that feeling so instead, I embraced him and then replied back.

"Yes me and Ozzy are very close aren't sweetie?" I asked him and then under the table jabbed my foot into his own and he didn't half squirm but he kept it hidden so he just then replied to me.

"Yes, we are." Then I knew from now on something was different with mine and his relationship. He had shown me kindness and he seemed to have protection over me. But most of all I knew that deep down me and Oswald had a love-hate relationship. The oxymoron. Why had he to take me with him to his mother? Maybe it was an introduction and permission to be with me. Or maybe he needed approval. But whatever me and Oswald had it was developing.

The feeling that I had only felt once before. With someone who is long gone. He was protecting me. He was being here for me. But why? And why didn't my mother skin him from where he stood. There was a bargain going on. But I know come to wonder. This is the question I need answering. And it is.

Is this love?