I Laughed

"You won't tell me?" I question, amazed.

"Nope. I won't, and I don't want to know yours either. I will be leaving in a few days anyway. My treatment will be over, and I will go back. We can be like the cool strangers who met and had fun. It will surely be a time to remember." He grins.

"Sure. I am fine with that," I shrug.

"How about nicknames?" he proposes.

"I will call you Iris because you have such beautiful eyes," It has been so long since someone complimented my eyes.

"Thanks," I slowly whisper, and he grins.

"I will call you teddy then," I announce.

"Teddy?"

"Yeah, your huge eyes make you look like a teddy bear," I shrug.

"That is cute. Thanks,"

"Shall we get going?" I ask. He nods, and we leave the cafe. I take the lead, and he follows me to my car. We get in, make ourselves comfortable and start our journey.

My family and I always went to this festival. It is called the 'Winter Snow Festival.' It has so many games, an ice rink and ice skating performances. It is such a cute and beautiful festival.

"Shall we listen to some songs?" he requests. I nod and hand him my aux. He puts on some calming Christmas songs, and we listen in silence. I look at him and find him admiring the beautiful scenery. The scenery reflects in his eyes, making them look so beautiful.

My mind is at peace. No negative thoughts or feelings are trying to eat me alive, and I feel fine after a long time. This feeling, I hope it will last forever. This only happens when I am with him.

"Look, look, that house has a decoration of a Santa trying to get into the house through the chimney," he shakes my shoulder excitedly.

"Calm down. I saw, and no disturbing the driver," I scold gently. He grins and goes back to admiring the scenery. I shake my head, he is like a kid.

"I am really blessed to enjoy sceneries like this," He starts speaking, "When I was a kid, I was not allowed out of the house because I could faint anytime. But I am soooo happy now," He finishes, stretching the o.

"Yeah," I agree.

"We so focused on the future that we forget how to enjoy the present. There will be a lot of time to worry about the future if we are alive the next day. Some people go to bed and do not wake up. What is the point of worrying about the future if you are not even alive the next day? That is why I want to enjoy the present as much as I can. I don't want to regret anything in the future," He smiles, looking at the snow.

Now I know how he can smile all the time. He always looks at the good and always find reasons to smile. He is not hung up on his sickness but glad that he is alive to enjoy life. That is why he is happy. That is why he smiles.

"That is a good way of looking at life," I say.

The rest of the journey is silent, and soon we reach the festival. I park the car, and he excitedly jumps in his seat.

"Come on, come on," He pulls my hand once I get out of the car. The festival looks so beautiful. Christmas lights are hanging everywhere, and a huge Christmas tree lies in the middle, beautifully decorated with Christmas decorations, candy cane, and a bright star at the very top. There are beautiful ice sculptures and snowflakes made from ice hanging at a safe distance.

"You are smiling," He says, bringing my attention to him. I place my hands on my mouth and find my lips curled upwards. I am smiling. I AM SMILING. After one year, I smiled. I felt my first emotion after a long time, happiness. I am happy.