Chapter 88

Erwin POV

He looked bad.

No.

That wasn't the right word.

There was nothing the blond could do to make Erwin think about him that way. But the black circles under his eyes and the loss of color in his face were unmistakable. Just like the exhaustion lingering in his eyes and the tangled strands of hair that grazed his neck, for once not tied into a ponytail.

They had brought Erwin to a hidden place in the middle of the forest that hid the sharp rocks of the mountain from a stranger's eye. It was almost like a cave but with almost no space. Erwin had expected Armin to be lost. Alone. Frightened. But the boy was neither alone nor frightened.

Well, not that he would let his fear show in front of the kid.

Erwin glanced at him, wondering just how young the child must be. It had eyed him wearily during their short walk, staying close to Armin. Erwin noticed the limp in the boy's leg but didn't mention it.

In fact, he hadn't said a word yet.

"The snowstorm has been going on for quite a while now." Armin's voice was no more than a whisper, the result of having the kid sleeping on his thighs. The small eyelids were fluttering, brows furrowed and Armin carefully dragged a hand through the child's locks. "Why are you out here?"

Erwin swallowed. "I could ask you the same thing."

Armin smiled but there was no joy behind it. It was a grimace more than anything.

"What did Faris tell you?"

"Why do you think he spoke to me in the first place?"

"Because no one but him would have told you that I'm in danger."

"Why?"

Armin looked down on the child in his lap and Erwin couldn't help but flinch at the thin clothing the boy was wearing. A shirt, short-sleeved with holes in some places and trousers that reached his ankles was all that was covering his body. And the shoes on his feet were a joke. Too thin, to damaged and not created to keep him warm.

When Armin noticed Erwin's gaze on him, penetrating the façade he tried to keep up with every shy turn of his head, he spoke up: "Because he thought that only you would come and save me."

His answer was nothing but a whisper, thick with fatigue, as if the truth behind his words would disappear should he talk too loudly. Erwin wanted to crawl over there, to cradle this boy in his arms and protect him from a world that was too cold for his warm-hearted soul.

Armin laughed gently and the movements of his hand ceased above the child's head.

"It's hilarious if you think about it. A Commander of the king's army leaves his work to save a damsel in distress." He frowned, eyes locked with the ground and Erwin yearned to tilt his chin up. To force him to meet his gaze. "A male damsel in distress who is supposed to be your servant. Fate is cruel, isn't it?"

"What do you want me to say, Armin?"

The wind was whistling outside of the small cave and whipped the stones that protected them from its powerful blows. Armin turned his head to watch the few leaves left on the trees falling onto the ground only to get buried beneath snow.

"I don't know."

"That I came out here alone without any knowledge of your disappearance?"

Armin didn't answer, barely even looked at him and it infuriated Erwin.