Chapter 7

Levi POV

"It is our honor to welcome you here, Your Royal Highness.", Eyebrows greeted the uniformed prince. He looked like a monkey with the mop of blond hair on his head.

They formed a half-circle around Prince Zeke, bowing to him like they were meant to in his presence. Levi suppressed any kind of emotion on his face and waited for that royal asshole to say anything.

"It is my honor to be here, Commander Erwin. Are there any news regarding the positions of the enemy?"

"No, Your Highness. They haven't moved a bit as our spies have told us."

They gathered around the table, Zeke in the middle of the round, taking a look at the positions of the flags. In the light of the candles above them he looked just as old as he was. Some people wished he would take over the throne already but it was clear to everyone who knew the prince that he was just as gruesome and merciless as his father.

"Are they trustworthy?", the Crown Prince now asked them. Levi repressed a snarl. He himself had chosen them. Doubting them was the same as doubting his abilities.

Zeke looked up at him, his cunning eyes those of a fox.

"They are.", Levi answered, ignoring Erwin's warning clearing of his throat. "They infiltrated the enemy's army long ago and have proven to be reliable sources of information regarding the movements and strategies of Marley's forces."

Zeke hummed, not giving an answer and frowning at the constellation of the flags.

"My father wants to end this war as fast as possible."

Levi snorted and this time it didn't go unnoticed by the rest of them.

"Any problem regarding the plans of your King, General Ackerman?"

"Of course not.", Levi was fast to answer, as collected and uncaring as ever.

That son of a bitch could say whatever he wanted. If he despised the war against Marley just as much as he said he would have found a way around it.

"I myself will go with the first troops and fight alongside my men.", the prince said now and Erwin's eyebrows went up all the way to his hairline.

"Your Highness, you know how dangerous those battles are. It would be a great risk for us if we had to ensure your safety at all times on the battlefield. I fear we would lose countless men."

"I don't need any security. Most of them haven't ever seen me either way so they won't even know who I am. Only the highest generals, all of which are present right now, will know that I am with you and some of the recruits and soldiers."

"What is your father's opinion on that matter? Doesn't he deem it a too great risk to let his only son go to war? The only heir to the throne?", Levi toned in, not minding the icy gaze of his superiors. No one else ever dared to question the prince's words. That's why the fight had erupted last time.

"There is no reason for you to be worried, General Ackerman."

As if I care about your royal, shitty ass. Let alone worry.

"My soldiers would do anything in their power to save and protect you.", he said instead as stern as possible. He couldn't care less about politeness. They would lose some good men to a person who had done nothing to deserve that kind of treatment. "As soon as word gets out that a member of the royal family is fighting alongside them, they will look out for any new soldier and do anything in their power to attract the enemy's forces elsewhere."

"Levi."

"No, Commander. He is right.", Zeke said and took his glasses off, cleaning them with a white clothe he had hidden in his uniform. "But that's a risk worth taking."

"Many good men will die!"

"They are fighting in a war. Dying isn't just an option but a most likely end for any soldier." Zeke stayed calm, not even looking up at Levi who was simmering on the in- as well as on the outside.

Levi smacked the tabletop with the palm of his hand.

"We will lose countless soldiers because of your plan! What are we supposed to do when they get killed on the battlefield and the enemy uses the opportunity to attack us when we are unnecessary weak?"

"We will get new soldiers." Zeke's heartless answer surprised even Eyebrows.

"My prince, no offense but soldiers need a training. A training lasting many years, forming them into useful recruits and even then they don't have the experience necessary on a real battlefield."

"Seeing as I have also been trained to become a soldier since I was a child, I know how hard and lengthy it can be. But we don't have the time to wait that long. The war is coming and we need soldiers. Thousands of them."

"We don't have that amount of soldiers.", one of the other generals, General Nile, contradicted.

"We have.", Zeke said. "Just around the corner actually. And regarding the matter of me being the sole heir to my father's kingdom..."

He cleared his throat and all eyes were directed at him, waiting for what was coming next.

Zeke raised his head and looked them straight in the face, his expression almost bored.

"I am not the only rightful heir to the throne of Eldia."

- - -

After Zeke's statement it was silent in the tent.

"What the fuck do you mean with that?", Levi cursed and ignored Erwin's order to stay silent. "Everyone knows that you are the only son of Grisha Yaeger. His heir. The heir of this realm."

"And that's exactly what you're wrong with." Zeke walked around the table, back straight and his gaze directed at the sky outside of the tent. "I am my father's oldest son, that much is true."

"Spit it out already.", Levi barked at him.

"Levi! Stop it or I won't tolerate you in this meeting any longer.", Erwin admonished him sternly, his eyes fixated on the young raven.

"It is quite okay, Commander. In fact I enjoy his honesty.", Zeke defended him. Not that Levi cared. That man was a bag full of shit no matter how much he stood up for the general. "In my defense I have to admit that it was my father's wish and instruction to veil the existence of my brother."

"Brother?", Levi echoed unbelievingly.

So there is another one of them. But why isn't he here then?

Zeke nodded, still not looking at them.

"My younger brother, the second-born prince of Eldia's King."

"Why has no one ever heard of him?", Erwin asked in my stead. "We haven't gotten any news of a second prince of Eldia."

"Oh, you have heard of him. But among the citizens it's common knowledge that he died when he was only six years old."

Levi's scowl remained on his face.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Is he dead or is he alive?"

"He is alive somewhere; of that I am sure. His mother took him with her when she fled the palace ten years ago. They must have settled down somewhere by now."

"Why was there any need for them to flee from the palace?"

"Levi, that's enough." This time Zeke doesn't object when Erwin gave him the order. Only Levi's pride was keeping him from saying another word. Discussing with a bastard like that prince would end in nothing but problems on his hand.

The discussion around the table goes on but Levi zoned out of it. His thoughts were still with that brother Zeke mentioned.

Could it be that he was somewhere near? Had Levi met him on the many journeys he had endured in order to get where he was?

A soldier interrupted his thoughts by storming into the tent, an alarmed expression on his pale face.

"Shiganshina! It's under attack!"