Chapter 17

(Do You Believe In Love By Huey Lewis)

Wilbur's Pov

"When i asked you if she was good-" My dad spoke as we waited by our cars.

"I tried to tell you." I laughed as Max disappeared.

I looked around, knowing that at any moment, I would be attacked by him. But I didn't expect him, Ryder, and my mother to all start throwing snow at me.

Ember started laughing and recording as I hid behind my father, who quickly joined on their side.

"Which one is she?" My mother asked excitedly as all of the racers took the track.

"She's number seven." I responded with a smile on my face.

She had both hands on her hips and she looked like she was in deep focus and or concentration.

I felt like everyone was staring at her, and I knew she felt like that too. She was the only girl for this race.

"Focus Jareds." I said under my breath so that nobody heard me,  just like I did the last time when I was on call with Phil.

She then took her hands off of her hips and placed them onto the handlebars.

"I thought that she might have heard me, but she was a couple hundred feet away. It was like, she read my mind or something, it was crazy."

"She's got this." Dylan said, almost like he was trying to convince himself.

"Why do you sound so nervous?" Ember asked, as Max stood up and leaned against the gate.

"She's never been on this track before. Not even for a test run. At their age, they should be able to take test runs on tracks they've never been on."

"That's not fair, at all." My dad said, leaning his elbows on the gate, which looked like it hurt.

"It doesn't matter. She'll be fine." Max spoke, before Ryder agreed, trying to light up the mood.

The light went from red, yellow, to green before the flag dropped. She started off slow and Ember was at the gate screaming, though we know Daytona couldn't hear us.

The first lap went easy. There were a couple moments that terrified us during the first lap.

"She's playing dangerous this time." Max said as Mr, Jar- as Dylan nodded.

"This is not what I told her. But as long as she's safe, and having fun then I have no problem." Dylan said as I nodded.

"As long as she's safe I do not care." I said as everyone looked at me and laughed.

I rolled my eyes as she crossed the finish line for the second lap. Something was going through her head right now, I knew it.

I could feel it. She was on the last lap now and her speed dropped.

"What is she doing?" Max asked his dad as Dylan cursed under his breath.

"We didn't go through this. God, this is the moment I wish that she raced with an ear piece."

"She doesn't race with an ear piece?" My dad asked as Dylan nodded.

"It makes her freak, and not focus."