A new man

"Isn't this nice ... oh goodness look at the sunny weather and the colourful flowers !" The matchmaker Said cheerfully , who was sitting in a pavilion with two other people . " Oh and those vegetables that are growing in your back yard , just beautiful." She added.

" Oh yeah , I am quite interested in gardening but not so good at it as you might see." The man replied sheepishly yet monotonously.

" Well , I think they look gorgeous. So, I will leave you guys a bit and take a stroll around your magnificent garden. Your mansion is so big I might get lost. See you around !" The lady giggled and walked off.

The two that stayed  shared an awkward moment where no one would say anything and just sit in silence. He looked over to the small figure that was sitting right beside him. Everything was new to him too and he noticed that she was quite nervous as her cheeks blushed as well as his. He took a sip on his tea and tried to cause as little of noise as possible as if he were afraid to scare her. He found her more then pretty yet he couldn't figure her personality out. She was a shy women yet he knew that she was a skilled and confident earth bender. He heard stories of her and always liked how determined she was. He wanted to know more about her  and what kind of a person she is.

" I know that this is strange." He tried to stop staring at her. " It's my first time too." He said monotonously as usual.

She turned to him. " It is ... but ... I don't mind." She paused to think of a question to get to know him better."So ... what do you do for a living ?" She shyly asked.

"My Father used to be in the military , fighting alongside Iroh when they both were younger. They were close friends. I wanted to be like him so I joined the military as well but I now work as one of fire lord Zuko 's lieutenants." He answered.

" So you have to work a lot with Zuko right ?" She Curiously asked him.

" Yes , you guys know each other , am I right ?" He said.

She smiled softly. " Yeah but I'm kinda mad at him as he promised to take me on a life changing adventure!" She laughed.

He adored her laugh and as he saw her smile , he couldn't help but notice that a small grin has appeared on his face as well. They both talk for hours and about all kind of things such as their future goals , the adventures they had and what the other person liked or disliked. They got along well and chatted until the matchmaker came back from her so said stroll around the garden.

-

As time passed , both of them started to see each other more often. At the beginning they only saw each other every two weeks then it turned to once a week then daily. After a while they even started to meet without the matchmaker. He noticed that she got a lot more open and softer after each date. He enjoyed spending so much time with her , after all she was a fine women. Not only her beauty was appealing to him but also her personality. Sure she was sometimes a bit sarcastic or rude but deep down he knew that she has one of the purest souls, filled with nothing but love for her friends and passion for bending.

She enjoyed spending time with him as well. He was often in the fire nation as he had to assist Zuko yet he always took some time off to see her. The way he spoke was emotionless and some would say cold but she didn't mind that. He spoke monotonously but that's just they was he was and she liked it. He was smart and a strong fire bender. She also noticed that he was one of the most caring person she ever met. Anytime she would look sad , he would do anything in his power to make her smile such as preparing her , her favourite food , telling her a funny story or just sitting down with her and listen. He seemed just perfect but she felt as if a tiny bit was missing. She couldn't even figure out what it was but a tiny feeling in her stomach would just tell her that he isn't the right one.

" So when I searched for Zuko ...he didn't see that it was me. I didn't react fast enough and he accidentally burned my feet. That idiot!" She laughed thinking about the past." I never felt so blind in my life before but luckily Katara healed my feet right after." She smiled.

" I never knew that fire lord Zuko could be ... well ... clumsy." He chuckled a bit.

" He is but not as clumsy as twinkle toes. I still can't believe that he is one of the most powerful bender. Who knew that a guy with a monkey and flying cow would be so strong." She said teasingly.

" I always admired your connection with your friends. I hope to one day meet them all." He paused. " Maybe at our wedding day..." he looked over to her.

She shyly smiled as she felt her proposal ring at her ring finger." Hm , I want you to met them a bit earlier. I mean there is still some time left before we get married." She pondered.

He nodded in agreement." I can't wait to meet everyone , Aang , Katara , Suki and ...Sokka... " He monotonously answered.

"... sokka ? Why would you wanna meet him ?" She whispered.

" I heard a lot about him and you two are friends as well right ?" He paused. " I feel so sorry for him , poor fella is getting a divorce." He said.

" A divorce ? How would you know that ? He just got married a couple of month ago. " She asked him.

" It was all over the newspaper , everyone talked about them. I'm surprised that you didn't know." He explained.

She waved her hand in front of her eyes ." To me it's just some piece of paper."

" I'm normally not a curious person but I want to know the reasoning behind this divorce...." He looked over to Toph who just sat in silence. He knew that she thought about Sokka now. Buh did he know their past ? He didn't really care. After all , Toph was the one that went to the matchmaker to find a husband. She probably wasn't in love with Sokka or was she ? He stopped analysing his future wife. " I'm sorry let's change the subject, shall we ?" He blushed.

" I don't know the reason!" She suddenly said. " I don't even wanna know ! All I want to focus on is to start a new life with you !" Her cheeks got rosy but she realised that she was ready to fall in love again.