The fire king

She held the invitation that Sokka gave her. In two weeks he would get married to the love of his life and all she could do was just stand there and let it happen. She imagined a life without him , it seemed so empty and sad but she survived those couple of weeks without him so she could survive for the rest of her life without him as well. She was proud of herself yet she knew that those weeks have been nothing but challenging for her. She missed him , everything about him. She thought about the times he made her laugh and made her cry. Her mind was flooded with different thoughts but she still tried staying strong.

" Toph ?" Mai knocked at the front door impatiently.

Toph quickly tugged the letter away and ran to open the door. Her hands were shaking but she focused on acting calm and collected. Mai asked her to have dinner with her ,as her husband was stuck in meetings . Toph liked how cool and honest Mai was , she didn't talk around the point , she compared Mai to herself, finding more similarities over time but she noticed that she got a lot softer since the war has ended. She wasn't as close with Mai like Katara , yet she enjoyed Mai's company. She let Mai inside the house and chatted while she got ready for dinner. She picked a classic dress that Katara bought for her. She liked the dress , it felt soft and smelled like roses. It was one of the only dresses were she felt comfortable in. Sometimes she wished to see herself in her favourite dress.

Mai jumped onto the couch , burying her face into the pillows. " Urg..." she sighed. " Guess what ? Zuko , the dumb fire king  , wants to attend Sokka's wedding in a carriage that's getting pulled my a group of horses. So embarrassing." she complained while her cheeks turned red, thinking about how ridiculous that would look like. Mai and Zuko were the first couple from the group that got married. It was right after the war has ended and one of the first big celebrations. Even though Mai was only his wife , she had lots of responsibility and political task to overcome but her love for Zuko motivated her.

Toph giggled as Mai complained. She thought about attending as well. Maybe not in a fancy way like Zuko and Mai but she still wanted Sokka to be happy , even after everything that was going on between the two. She still liked him and she still hated herself for it. His scent , his touch and the feeling of being near him she missed it all well but she knew it was better to stay away from him. She knew that he would start a family with Suki , setting down somewhere with the love of his life , in a huge house and spending every moment with each other. She thought about how lucky Suki was and got jealous but deep inside she knew that Suki must be really special to Sokka so she tried to let go of her negative emotions that only brought sadness into her life.

Mai popped out of the pillow mountain in which she buried herself in. " You are coming too , right ?" Mai asked. Toph hesitated to answer and completely froze where she was standing. "Rigghhhhttt ?" Mai enhanced her voice.

Lost in thought , she turned around , sat down next to Mai and gabbed a pillow. " I really don't know. Maybe. Or maybe not. Maybe ? If I have time then will visit you guys after the ceremony." She said while hugging the pillow.

" What is that for an answer ? Have you been drinking again ? It's not like the marriage of Sokka and Suki is a common event where you can show up whenever you feel like it ?! He is your best friend , even though he is a bit annoying." Mai added while snatching the pillow Toph held.

" I know !!! Urg ! " She let herself fall onto the other pillows. " Sokka and I kissed." It slipped out of her mouth but she didn't care anymore.

Her whole head turned red while Mai was completely perplexed by her last sentence. It happened. Another person knew about the kiss. "...you are kidding me." Mai said and laughed. It was the first time Toph ever heard her laugh and it sounded like a pig that choked on its food. She laughed too , both talked a lot about what happened between her and Sokka. " So you guys really kissed ? That wasn't a joke ?" Mai said with her normal cool tone voice after calming herself.

" It's not." She rubbed her head that was filled with all kinds of thoughts. " I will not attend the wedding. I tried to bury my feelings but I have to accept that they are still there. I would just torture myself if I go to the wedding." She thought about all the fun adventures she had with Sokka and the feelings she still had for him. She knew that one day it would end but she didn't expect that it would end that soon.

Mai looked over to Toph who just calmly laid on the couch. A small grin appeared on her lips. " I can see that you are slowly healing." Mai got up. " but don't think that the pain is just gonna go away so easily. You will need time. Lots of time." Mai whispered.

" You know Mai ... I think you would be a better fit for the firelord position ." She giggled. " My husband is already a pain in my ass. I don't need more responsibility as I'm already cleaning up his mess." They both laughed and finally got out of the house to get some dinner. Some people from the friend group got closer to each other while some distanced themselves. She was glad that her and Mai got to be closer friends since the war has ended. It wasn't always easy but she knew that she would be fine after all.