Chapter 55: Calamique (2)

Start from the beginning

"Sir Wysk, we have arrived," the driver said.

Wysk looked at the American diplomat as his personal knight opened the doors for them. "Please, follow me," he said, disembarking. "Your escort will have to wait outside."

Meyer nodded. "I understand. Lynda, Frederick, is everything in order?" He asked his assistant and colleague.

"Yeah," they said in unison.

"Alright." He turned toward the tall, slender ginger woman. "Lynda, please inform me once we get a response."

"Understood, sir," she said.

"Sir Wysk," he gestured to the man, allowing him to lead the way.

They made their way to the Royal Chamber, navigating through hallways of marble and regal carpet. Near the end of their walk, Lynda approached Meyer, whispering in his ear. "Sir, they want us to sign a defense treaty. Apparently, they picked up some weird signals so they want complete access to all ruins in Calamique's territory in exchange for the treaty, along with any resources you can secure."

Meyer rubbed his chin. "Okay. I'm surprised they're willing to interfere with this island without us even knowing what they can offer in return."

Lynda reiterated, "They seemed convinced that the signal is something important. They also mentioned something about the island's strange barrier, and magic."

"Can't argue with that," he stated. "Let them know I've received the instructions. I'll see what I can do."

Duke Wysk led the way, walking up to the towering mahogany chamber doors and permitting the guards to open them. The officials in the room and the king in particular were gripped with a sense of urgency, wanting to conclude the meeting as fast as possible in order to return their attention to the crisis. Their faces reflected this, their legs shaking and feet tapping the floor in impatience. "Your Highness," Duke Wysk knelt.

Meyer and his delegation emulated the greeting.

The king spoke with regality in his voice, his articulation of words fitting for royalty. "You may rise. Duke Wysk, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention." He turned his golden beard toward the Americans, standing up from his throne. "I am King Brandea of Calamique. In my years of ruling, I have never before been met with a group of people claiming to be from the Outside. As you may understand, my people are faced with peril from within — a parasite who seeks to tear its hits apart. Pray tell, is your arrival a coincidence, or something else?"

"Your Highness, I would say our arrival is better than a coincidence," Meyer said cunningly. Noticing King Brandea's curious reaction, he continued, "I would say our arrival is a blessing!"

"How so?" Brandea asked.

Meyer placed a hand on his chest, orating his prepared speech. "We come seeking amicable relationships, and are willing to sign defense treaties for this noble cause. I am Ambassador Jacob Meyer from the United States of America, and we hope not to distract you from your current predicaments. Rather, we hope to help you against Mauli's uprising."

King Brandea pondered the strangely clothed man's manner of speech. His words were as sharp as his outfit, and the proposal for allyship was tempting. Recognizing the threat posed by the enemy flyers — for which his forces had little counter — he decided to indulge in Meyer's offer. "Very well, Ambassador Meyer. I will listen to what you have to say."

The room fell to silence as Meyer strategized his words. He sighed inwardly, relieved that he had King Brandea's attention. Now, his main concern was figuring out how best to proceed with the offer. In preparation for this moment, he had asked Duke Wysk questions about the Calamique economy. It turned out that the materials here were fairly basic, with no known deposits of rare metals, although the locals hadn't done much to survey and prospect. Finally, there was the island's mysterious origins and the signal his superiors were so interested in. "Your Highness, in exchange for a defense treaty, the United States of America wishes to receive land for establishing bases and unconditional surveying rights along with rights to any yet-undiscovered deposits. We also want complete access to the ruins and other archaeological sites in this kingdom. We will share any discoveries we find, and can amend this agreement further in writing."