Meningitis

Naturally, I had to wait in the waiting room when they took Sam to the room. Chord, Mercedes, Quinn, and Puck followed the ambulance in my car and met me in the waiting room. We waited for about an hour, and Matthew made an appearance. He had three huge men in black suits following him. Apparently there were reporters trying to get in the hospital, and doctors and nurses were trying to keep them out, so he brought the men to keep them out. He sat across from us.

"You do know that what happened between you and that reporter is going to be on the news, right?" Was the first thing he said to me.

"And you honestly think I care? My boyfriend had to be rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, and these reporters get in my way, keeping me from being with him, and ask me if he's having a damn drug overdose?" 

"I agree, it was totally uncalled for. Sam may be an idiot sometimes, but he doesn't do drugs. He doesn't even smoke!" Chord exclaimed.

"Or drink, except for those two times, which were my fault both times."Puck added.

"I agree with you one hundred percent, guys, I just wish you hadn't used the F word." I shrugged. "What all happened anyway?" He asked.

"When we got home he changed and lied down on the bed and I gave him some medicine. I lied beside him, of course, and he started shivering so I took his temperature. It was 104.5, so I made him take a cold shower, but then I changed my mind and we got him ready to come here, and he passed out. A temperature over a 104.5 could kill you."

"Wait, I thought it had to be over 107 to kill you?" Quinn asked.

"Yeah, but my mom's cousin died from a temperature of 103 when I was 10. But then again, she had Meningitis. God, I hope he doesn't have that."

"Sadly, that is exactly what he's been diagnosed with." A doctor said, walking up to us."I'm Dr.Scott. It was a good idea on your part to have him take a cold shower." She told me." Because it helped his fever from going any higher. If you hadn't called an ambulance when you did, there would have been a greater risk of him dying."

"He'll be okay though, right?" Chord asked.

"Yes, he'll be fine. Although we want to keep him for a few days, and make sure his fever doesn't go back up. You all may go see him, but please be quiet." She said, and we followed her to his room. She opened the door and we went in. She shut the door back and left. Sam was laying on his side in a hospital gown, a folded wet rag on his forehead. His eyes were half open. I sat in the chair facing him, and everyone else stood behind me.

"How're you feeling baby?" I asked.

"Uhh. Like I got hit by another truck." He said, trying to sound sarcastic, even though it was true.

"When did you start feeling worse?"

"I don't know. We were talking and it just hit me all of a sudden, and I felt like I was about to freeze to death." He said."I'm sorry guys. I cause y'all so much damn trouble and stress."

"Don't even go there, Sam. You can't help it." Chord said.

"I don't even know why y'all deal with me." He said, ignoring Chord's comment.

"Because we freaking love you!" Chord exclaimed quietly, making us look at him." We all care about you. I care about you! You're my brother, I'm going to damn it worry about you for the rest of my life! And you can't do anything about it, everyone is going to worry about the other, so you have to deal with it and except the fact that we'll do anything for you." He walked out without saying anything else to anyone. I watched the others, who had wide eyes like mine, follow him out, shutting the door behind them. I looked back at Sam and saw that he had his eyes squeezed shut and he was biting his lip. I sat on the bed beside him and he scooted over and I lied down beside him. I hugged him as he cried into my shoulder. After a few minutes if me whispering to him that it's okay and running my hands through his hair, he calmed down enough to where he was just hiccuping.

"Now I feel bad." He said softly.

"It's okay Sam."

"No it's not. I made him mad with what I said, and I didn't mean to." He said, not looking at me. I hugged him tighter.

"I know you didn't, Sam. He's not mad, just a little upset. We all worry about each other. If it was the other way around, you'd be worrying about him." I said."Am I right?"

"When are you not?" He asked sarcastically and I giggled.

"They're gonna come back in a little while, I promise. Then you and him can hug it out or whatever." I told him and he nodded.

"How long do I have to be here?" He asked.

"A few days. They want to make sure your temperature doesn't go back up. You really scared me Sam."

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

"No, don't be. You can't help it. I'm just happy I changed my mind about the cold shower."

"Me too." He mumbled, slowly starting to fall asleep. I kissed the top of his head.

"Go to sleep. I'll still be here when you wake up."