"God, I miss you," I breathed after I was done talking to her – or myself. "When I don't get a response from you, I feel like an insane person talking to myself."

"I love you, Millie Bee," I froze, my eyes widened and goosebumps erupted over every inch of my exposed skin. With parted lips and a pounding heart, I neared the tombstone and reached for the engraved name. 

"Mom?" I whispered under my breath. I ran a hand through my hair and took in a deep breath, my mind had to have been playing games on me, there was no way that I heard Mom's voice so loud and clear. 

"I love you, Millie Bee," I heard again. 

My mind couldn't have played the same trick twice, I urgently turned my neck to examine the area and I must've been insane to have a slight hope that it was her who spoke. Disappointment but also relief that I hadn't gone crazy settled in when I was greeted by a tall, masculine figure who stood a few feet away from me. 

I took in his black shoes that complimented his dark slacks and white buttoned-down shirt with a tie. Leo was dressed for work, none of his tattoos were exposed and his hair was combed the neatest I'd ever seen. 

"Leo?" I questioned with a frown. "Why are you here? And did you hear..."

"This?" I hadn't noticed but Leo held a little plushie the shape of a bee that had the face of a penguin. He pressed the stomach of the plushie and I heard my mom's voice.

"How?" I whispered in disbelief and rushed towards him. I grabbed the toy from him and squeezed the soft stomach repeatedly as tears brimmed my eyes. 

"Happy belated birthday, Mils," Leo softly said. "I meant to give you this sooner but... no excuses."

With the cute plushie in my hand, I glanced up at him through glossy eyes. "You got this for me?"

"It would be odd to gift a toy that says I love you, Millie Bee, to someone else," Leo replied. 

I blinked away the threatening tears but more filled my eyes, I didn't care at that moment, I squeezed the toy again. "I love you, Millie Bee."

My heart ached but leaped with joy at the same time, I hadn't heard those words or Mom's voice in a very long time. The audio was so clear, it made the hairs at the back of my neck stand and felt as if she spoke directly at me. 

I sniffed and pressed on it again, tears flowed from my eyes to my cheeks as I pressed on it again. "Mom," I whispered with a small smile. 

"I'm glad you like it," Leo spoke and I almost forgot he was still there. "I went through a lot of video footage to find the best audio."

"I love it," I wiped my tears and wrapped my arms tightly around him. "Thank you so much."

I was so overwhelmed by emotions that I didn't straight away realize that Leo didn't respond to the hug, he stood stiffly with his hands at his side. Just as he was about to hug me back, the previous evening flashed in my mind and I pulled away. 

I cleared my throat and felt as if I overstepped. "Sorry," I mumbled and took a step back. I cuddled the plushie to my chest and earnestly smiled. "Thank you for this."

"And I'm sorry," Leo blurted. He shoved his hands in pockets and took in a small breath. "For the way I spoke to you yesterday."

"You mean when you told me to get over myself and that the world doesn't revolve around me?" 

Leo lowered his gaze and I could tell he was remorseful. "Mila..." Leo trailed off and ran a hand over his face. "I shouldn't have spoken to you in that tone and for that, I apologize."