Chapter XXIV

It took a bit for it all to sink into both Briella and Ryan. It took a bit of time for them both to comprehend that that night was the very first time they had a fight.

Unlike last time, Briella texted and called Nadia.

"Okay. What happened? How did it all come about??" Nadia inquired.

"I-I don't know. He offered me his help to write a song.". A short pause. "Then he asked me if I would like to write a song about love. That got us to talking about love... And then... boom.". As she spoke, she could have felt a lump steadily grow in her throat. "What's confusing is the feeling I have now. After this all happened.".

There was a rather strange sensation she felt in her chest. It was as if her heart ached. But this pain, that ache right there, it couldn't have been compared to any other she felt.

She was affected when Dylan broke up with her. But this with Ryan, a different sort of pain radiated within her.

What confused her was that she and Ryan had nothing going on. They weren't in any sort of a relationship. Yet she felt such a degree of emotions.

'Could it be because we are good friends?'. But she furrowed her brows, rejecting her reasoning. She knew that her thoughts spoke inaccuracy because when Nadia and her had fights, she wouldn't have felt this way. She knew that in a matter of days, things would have worked out.

Then why does she feel such a way?

'Why do I feel this way about him?'.

Then, Nadia's voice ejected Briella out of her thoughts.

"I-I don't mean to be talking nonsense. But, could it be love?...".

---------

A few weeks passed.

The communication between Briella and Ryan dropped drastically.

She wanted to text him but was afraid of what would have happened. Her gut said to leave it be.

She cursed herself for her irrational thinking, but at that moment, she knew no better.

The bell rang marking lunchtime. Briella walked out and immediately headed towards the benches.

She was by herself. Usually, she wouldn't have liked the fact that she was alone, but this time, she didn't mind it. As a matter of fact, she welcomed it.

Briella felt her heartache, more-less because of Ryan, but also because this year she spent Valentines Day all by herself. Last year, on Valentines Day, was when she met Dylan.

At least back then she had someone to share the day with, but this year, she had no one.

'I used to anticipate for Valentines Day to come. I loved Valentines Day, because of how romantic it was. This year... I couldn't have waited for the damn day to be over.'.

Briella was too deep in her thoughts to notice Ryan approaching her. Only when he sat down did she realise his presence.

She projected her gaze up towards him. Subconsciously, she gave him a slight smile. But was surprised when he smiled back.

Then, a brief moment of silence.

"So..." Ryan began. "Long time no see...".

Briella nodded along to his words, "yeah...".

Then, once again, their conversation stopped any further progression.

But when the silence became all too deafening, Ryan broke it by clearing his throat. He kept his gaze on her.

"How was your Valentines Day?".

Briella lifted her gaze up to him. 'I-Is he serious right now?'.

By the way she looked at him, he knew made a mistake. His eyes widened ever so slightly before he directed his eyes down to the wooden table. 'Fuck, I shouldn't have asked that...'.

"I-I..." She began. Ryan looked up at Briella, surprised that she was about to reply to his question. "Well... I-I was alone...". The lump grew in her throat as she felt the pain within her grow stronger. "So... you know... it was like every other day, you?...". Her words hurt her more than she anticipated. Right after finishing her sentence lowered her head. Before she could have taken hold of herself, a tear rolled down her face. 'Fuck!'. She took a deep breath, trying to get a hold of herself.

Ryan replied by lowering his head too. He tried to meet Briella's gaze but ended up furrowing his brows and widening his eyes, in a worrisome expression, upon seeing a tear roll down Briella's face.

Briella noticed this. She looked into his eyes. "As you can see, I am crying. Is there something you want to comment on that???".

"No!..." Ryan began, sitting back up. His face softened for a second before Briella noted another emotion in his eyes. Pain. She was taken back, but what more, she felt even more pain radiate within her.

'Can it be that he feels the same way I do?'.

Then, Ryan let out a sigh, his jaw clenched. "Please do find it in your heart to forgive me for what I am about to do next...".

Before Briella could comprehend the meaning of his words, Ryan leaned forwards towards Briella, right before cupping her right cheek with his left hand. With that, he wiped away any tears present with his thumb.

They both gazed into each other's eyes. Briella couldn't comprehend what just occurred.

Then, Ryan slid his hand off her cheek and sat back down.

"I-I am sorry..." he voiced. With that, he turned around and rummaged through his bag. Seconds later, he sat back up and placed a box of chocolates on the table.

"I bought these for you. I-I'm sorry for the other night...".

Briella widened her eyes as a reply. She changed her gaze between Ryan and the box of chocolates before shaking her head.

"I-I... I accept your apology... but I can't accept the chocolates... I-I am sorry. I really am.".

Before Ryan could have uttered another word, Briella stood up and walked off, leaving Ryan behind.

"Brie-" Ryan tried to call out her name, but she ran inside.

"We should have done something..." Liam whispered to Nadia as they both peered by a corner.

From Briella and Ryan, she looked up at Liam. "And what exactly could have we done that would have benefitted them both?".

"Well, we... I-I mean... hmmm, I-I don't know..." he replied.

"Hmmm... this is only between them. They have to work something out..." Nadia responded.

Then she thought back to the conversation between both Briella and her, to the reply Briella gave her upon her proposal. 'L-Love? Are you crazy!? He's my friend. Nothing more.'.

"This is something more than 'friends', isn't it, Briella?".

---------

Briella sprinted as fast as she could into the girls' bathroom before entering a stall and locking herself inside.

Here was finally when she let it all out.

She sat on the toilet seat and began crying. She tried to make her sobs as quiet as possible since she knew there are other girls in the bathroom. She didn't want others to hear her cry. She didn't need their pity.

'Damn you, Ryan! Damn you!'