Chapter XV

Weeks passed.

The weather became colder. There was an exception of a few days being warmer than the previous, but, undoubtedly, it was all thanks to the cloud cover keeping in that bit of heat from the sun. The sun dominated the sky during the day, its rays piercing through the cracks in the clouds.

It was a Friday, Friday the 18th of December, when the talent show commenced.

Briella was backstage, getting ready for her performance. Though her act wasn't until near the very end, it didn't help her growing nervousness. It felt as if her nervousness would suddenly grow a mouth and gobble her up entirely.

She swallowed whatever was in her mouth before concentrating her mind on the page with the lyrics in her hands. Thoroughly, she read through them, she read them until she was able to recite them all inside-out.

Suddenly, her face went all dead-pan. 'Why did I have to write such a wordy song?... I bet it'll sound worse on stage...'.

Unexpectedly, "Briella?". Instantly, Briella recognized the voice to be Nadia's.

"Nadia?". She looked at her friend who ran wrapped her arms around her.

"Jeez, you look so nervous..." Nadia remarked, as her arms remained wrapped around Briella. "Don't you worry, okay? Everything will be fine...". A pause. They both broke away from their embrace. It was also here that Nadia saw her words didn't do anything, so she decided to continue trying to ease Briella's worries. "I told you before, both Liam and I loved your song... it was really beautiful...".

"Yeah, but that was only the melody of the song, I didn't even sing!".

"Correction..." Nadia began. "You were humming.".

"But still!!" Briella replied. "W-what if I do something wrong on stage?... I'll make a fool out of myself, won't I?".

"You won't make a fool out of yourself. I don't think you can even classify that as making a fool out of yourself... it'd be called... being human," Nadia answered.

Briella furrowed her brows ever so slightly.

"It's only natural for you to accidentally do things like that on stage. This is your first time performing on stage. I'm sure everyone will take that into consideration when they see you out on stage... you know?" Nadia started. "But stop stressing over things like that. It's definitely not good for your health... And I know, I know. It's easier said than done... just stop for a second and let a small smile peek out through all the fear. Look at the good side of something so scary. When you go out there, you will have an opportunity to show them that talent that only a few, very lucky people got to see. If anything, the audience should be nervous. They don't know what's coming their way. Have fun on stage... even though if I don't know how one can do that when singing a sad piano song... I bet you'll think of something...".

Nadia's words held some sort of power in them. Endearment. Sympathy. And maybe just a little, tiny bit of empathy.

It was also her words that made her realise what it feels like to have the support of a true friend.

-------

The show began shortly after, which resulted in Nadia having to go back to her seat, which was beside Liam.

"How is she?" He asked.

"Nervous..." she replied. "But she will kill it out there. I can feel it...".

Liam nodded along to Nadia's words.

Time ticked by. One by one, acts went on stage, did what they signed up to do before heading back off stage.

Johnny Schuhmann's performance was right before Briella's. He too played the piano. Chopin, to be precise.

'Chopin. Etude in C-sharp minor, Op. 10, No. 4...' Briella thought to herself. A small smile grew on her lips. 'I remember my mother loved listening to Chopin. She loved listening to this song especially. Told me that when I get older and when I have more experience as a pianist, she'd love to hear me play it for her. If I could have, I would have played it back then, at that instant... if I could have... if only I could have. If only I could have played, if only I could play as good as him...'.

The piano continued playing, the pianist navigating his way through the song, until. Quite...

Then...

Applause. Applause, cheer.

It was Briella's turn now...

Johnny descended down the steps, he passed by Briella.

"You did great..." Briella commented. Her words caused him to freeze in his place. A small smile appeared on his lips. Though she is a stranger to him, he had much appreciation for her words.

"Thank you...". He turned around. "Good luck on stage...".

"Thank you...".

With that, they both part ways. Johnny backstage, while Briella towards up the steps. She stopped right before the entrance.

"Next act will be performed by a talented individual. She would spend her break times on the piano, in the music room, door wide open. Blessing us with her pure passion for playing the piano. It's my honour to call Briella McNamara to join me on stage.".

With that, she walked into something that will quite literally change her life for the better.

"Operation 'Forgetting Dylan' is on the go..." Nadia muttered under her breath. "You've got this, girl...".

Then, Liam stands up.

"You are going to kill it, Briella!! Woooo!!".

Briella instantly recognised his voice, she looked around and it didn't take her long to notice Liam standing up, waving his arms in the air. That was until Nadia pulled him back down to his seat.

"You idiot!! Everyone is now looking at us!!" She hissed under her breath.

"I couldn't care less... you said it yourself, Briella was nervous. Is most likely still nervous. I may be an idiot to everyone in this room, but I am an idiot who is supporting his friend," he replied.

Nadia's eyes widen, but then a small smile grows on her lips. "That makes the two of us then...".

"Hmmm?" replied Liam.

"You can do it, Briella!!!". Now Nadia stood up before being pulled down by Liam.

"What are you doing??".

"What you just did!".

Then...

"Wooo! Woop Woop!". Slowly, more and more cheers filled up the GYM hall. Slowly, claps were becoming audible as well.

"Briella!! Woooo!!". Voices that Briella never heard before called out her name. Encouraged her to walk further and further down the stage. Down to where the piano is.

Gazing at the crowd that laid in front of her, she saw how they applauded. How they applauded for her.

Nadia's words from earlier come back to her, "stop for a second and let a small smile peek out through all the fear. Look at the good side of something so scary. When you go out there, you will have an opportunity to show them that talent that only a few, very lucky people got to see.".

'A few people, you say?... I wouldn't be surprised if the whole school has, by now, heard me playing the piano... and... liked it? That's me judging by all the clapping...'. A pause. She sits down behind the piano. She felt a tear fall down her face, she let it fall. It wasn't a tear of sadness, yet a tear of joy.

Joy... at that time, that was what she felt... Joy.

And with a deep breath, she continued off from where she paused, "And so we begin...".