Chapter XIV

Their one week break passed in a blink of an eye, along with it, so did the first two weeks of November.

Monday, 14th of November...

It was a cold, blustery day. Though there were sunny intervals, it didn't help the fact that the temperature simply refused to go over 10 degrees Celcius throughout the day.

But when the evening came about, the clouds built up and rain began seeping from the big, grey clouds.

"Crap...". Briella cursed at herself for leaving her umbrella at home. "It said that it wasn't supposed to rain today...".

She continued watching the rain as it fell before disintegrating into smaller droplets upon its impact on the ground.

She planned to stay under the shelter of the main exit of her school for a bit longer until, at least, the rain reduced in its intensity.

On top of all of this, Nadia was absent today. Briella knew Nadia would have brought an umbrella, 'sunny days in Autumn... they are bound to deceive you.'. That's what she always said.

Briella turns left and right before looking behind hoping that Liam might come out of nowhere. 'And Liam? I am actually not sure where he is. But then again, not knowing where he is, that's just typical Liam.'.

"I also don't know if Ryan is in. I haven't seen him the entire day..." Briella muttered under her breath. "If this rain doesn't quieten down just a bit, I'm going to have to run through it in order to not miss the bus..." she added in pure dread. She took her phone out before turning it on. 4:12 PM.

Letting out a sigh, she took her first step out into the rain. 'It's not... all that bad...' she thought to herself. That was until a droplet managed to fall down her back. Along with her jaw, her face tensed. 'Nevermind! I was wrong! I was so wrong!!'. With that thought, she legged it as fast as she could.

She reached the stop in the record time of only five minutes, instead of the typical ten. It was under the stop shelter that she allowed herself a breather.

'Ugh, I am all wet now... But then again, I'd have rather this happen to me than to miss the bus. If I was to miss the bus, I would then have to walk home and I'd be absolutely drenched by the time I'd get home.'.

"Briella?" A familiar, deep voice called out her name. She turned towards the voice only to see that it's Ryan. He too seemed wet from the rain. "I'll take it that rain took you too by surprise.".

"Ryan??? Wait, you are in??".

"Y-yes?... I... yes, I am in," he replied.

"But... I haven't seen you around and about the entire day," Briella spoke next.

"Ahhh, right. I was busy around the school. Helped out a friend of mine with upcoming rehearsals of a drama show which will be performed near the end of the year," he elaborated.

"Wait, are you going to be playing a role in the show?".

"Oh no, but I'll be helping with casting and all of that goodness," he answered.

"Ah, I see..." Briella replied.

"I hope you are not too wet from the rain, are you?" he asked.

"Well... at least I'm not drenched. You?".

"Eh, same here. I might as well use the sam reply, at least I'm not drenched" he replied.

With that, a bus arrived, picking up both Briella and Ryan before driving them to their stop...

-------

Tuesday and Wednesday passed by.

It was Thursday. Thursday, 17th of November.

'Today's the sign up for the talent show,' Briella thought to herself.

"Hey, Briella!!" Nadia called out before rushing towards her.

"Nadia!".

They greeted each other with a hug.

"You seem in a good mood today!" Nadia commented.

"Why thank you for noticing! I can say the same for you too!" Briella replied.

Nadia smiled at her words. "Anyways," she began. "You decided about whether or not you want to enter the talent show?".

"Well, to be honest, I am not quite sure as of yet. I want to... but then again, I'm scared to.".

"Don't let that feeling decide for you," Nadia responded. "You will feel that way, but that's because it will be the first time you have performed in front of an audience. Both Liam and I think you will kill it if you enter. It will be such a waste of talent if you don't.". A pause. "Also... that song... that song is about Dylan, ye?".

Briella nodded.

"Well, there you go. I think that'll be one reason more why you should perform, it'll get one step closer to really getting over him...".

Briella looked up into Nadia's eyes. She was right...

"You know... you are right...". A small smile broke through and made its presence on her lips.

"Mmmm, I am always right, you know that?...". Briella noticed the tease in Nadia's voice.

"At times, yes. Other times, not really...".

"Hey! What is that supposed to mean?-".

"Come on!!". It wasn't meant on purpose, but Briella interrupted her. "We'll be late for class!".

--------

It was their big break when Briella began to make her way towards the big main hall where all the signing up is located.

She heard music playing...

Upon her entry, the hall was filled with people, dancing to their own accord. She saw their team mascots out and about, along with a few people in costumes here and there.

Swallowing whatever was in her mouth, she began her way to the people that were sat behind a desk.

Arriving there, she was greeted by a fellow student.

"Take a pen and sign your name in the next available slot on the page.". He ushered her towards the sheet that laid in front of her.

She did as he said. She picked up a pen, but just as her palm touched the page, something grew within her... 'Was it fear? Stage-fright?... Excitement?... Or maybe... the fact that I'll really get over and forget Dylan?' she thought. "Do you want to show us the song?" Liam's voice comes back to her. "Maybe if you were to play the song in front of us, it would make you feel some ease? Or maybe I'm just being stupid by even thinking such a thing..." now, Nadia's voice boomed through her thoughts. "The song!". Although Briella hummed out the lyrics while playing the tune on the piano, their reaction was priceless. "T-the song!... It... it's amazing...". "You know, it would be a waste of talent if you weren't to play at the talent show...".

Without her notice, a tear rolled down her cheek before dropping onto the page. The splatter heard ejected her out of her trance.

He noticed. "Hm? A-are you okay?".

Looking up at him, she let out a sheepish smile with a nod. "I-I am fine, thank you.".

With that, her gaze returned to the page. She takes in a deep breath.

Placing the pen on the sheet...

She signed her name.