"Maybe."

"How did you even manage that? I set off way before you, and I didn't even see you enter the café."

"Demons work in weird ways, and that's 'cause I entered from the back."

"You did all of that...just to figure out if I was on a date?"

"Pretty much. Anything else you wanna' know smartass?"

I let one leg drop to the grassy ground, placing a hand on my inner thigh as I thought of what to ask next. "Why do you dislike Ezekiel?"

"Dislike ain't a strong enough word," he retorted defiantly at the water gushing over the rocks, "I fuckin' hate him. He's too cocky for his own good, and thinks he's the best at everything. And that long hair pisses me off, like why doesn't he cut it? It's so white too like, just dye your fucking hai-"

The raven-haired stopped himself from continuing as soon as I exploded with laughter. His reasons for his animus were so off-the-wall, it was hilarious. He and Silas would get along just perfectly!

"What's so funny?"

"Your reasons why."

He cocked his head to the side, uplifting an eyebrow.

"I mean- it's funny how you hate things like his hair colour-"

"But I'm being serious! His hairs whiter than him," he stated, issuing more hearty laughter from me. I didn't expect to end up laughing like this, especially when my main intention was to scold him. Blame it on the soft spot that had developed for him, deprived of my permission, and not me.

Mammon began tearing out the crinkled petals from the flower, which threw me off slightly. How did one go from staring at a flower with awe to ripping it apart? It looked like he was playing the "They love me, they love me not," game that children played when they had a crush. (I only knew what that game was as when Mikkel was younger, he came to me, bawling, because the flower had said Emilia didn't love him.) But with the way his jaw was clenched, I highly doubted it was that.

"What are you doing to that poor flower?" I questioned, scooching closer to him.

"Ripping it apart, can't you see?"

"I can, but why?"

"Why not? It's gonna' die anyways."

"That doesn't mean you have to tear it apart," I said as I took the abused carnation from his hand and examined it. It looked as though a bunch of red leaves were glued together, especially with how ragged the edges were. I glanced at him and back at the flower as a not-so bright but more inane idea drifted into mind—to put the flower behind his ear. Kallista would do that to me everytime she caught sight of me. It was sweet of her yet, it never failed to leave me questioning how the red-head had a flower on her ready for that purpose—but that was my Kallista for you. I brought my hand closer to the side of Mammon's face.

"The hell are you doing?"

I brushed away some of the hair obstructing his ear before tucking the flower behind it. Mammon continued to stare at me wide-eyed, almost like he had been tranced by me now.

"There! You look cu- great!" I grew red at my near slip up. Had I nearly just called him cute? God, I was so stupid. The raven-haired looked away from me and down at his lap—perhaps, in a fruitless attempt to hide his reddened face. The corner of his lips twitched, almost as though it was hankering to smile.

"I'm not a girl." Was all the raven-haired said as he pulled the carnation away from his ear.

"So? It looked nice on you Mammon." I frowned, "You know, a friend of mine would always do that to me."