thirteen

Christmas wasn't able to lift Hope's sore mood as she had expected that maybe she would forget about her stress for a while

Christmas wasn't able to lift Hope's sore mood as she had expected that maybe she would forget about her stress for a while. After her encounter with Harry Potter, she hadn't been able to think properly. The guilty and loneliness was working as a salt on her wounds.

 Hearing Ashley's loud chatter from downs, Hope decided to get out of the bad and join others at the breakfast table. Running her hand through her tangled mess of her hair, she put the blanket aside and got on her feet, stretching her arms.

She was about to get into the attached bathroom when a hoot reached her ears, startling her a bit which led her to tumble back from the window. Seeing that it was Pansy's family owl, she let out a sigh in relief while mentally laughing at her cowardice. Hope grabbed the letter and stroked the snowy owl's feather causing him to let out a delighted hoot before he was on his way back. Hope unfolded the letter and sat down on one of the arm chair, a smile lingering on her lips as she went through the messy handwriting.

Dear Hope,

How are you doing?? How was your christmas? How did you like the dress I sent you? Also thank you for the ring you gifted me. It's the best present I got this year. Anyway, I literally forgot oh my god ─ I'm screaming yes, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You're growing up oh my god. I feel like a proud mom. Not to exaggerate but I'm literally so happy that I can't express it in words.

I'm kinda sad with the fact that I wouldn't be able to visit you even if you decided to celebrate your birthday. (which you won't because you kinda hate your birthday, I don't know why) I'm literally so sad right now. But anyway, have a blast birthday girl. I love you so much.

With love,

Pansy.

Hope sighed. She felt guilty for she had lied to Pansy about her birthday. She just chose a random date when the pureblood had asked Hope about her birthday as she couldn't reveal her real birth date.

"Hope are you awake yet?" Ashley's voice came from downstairs breaking Hope away from her thoughts. "Yes Ash." Hope shouted back, tucking the letter inside her journal and made a mental note to write back to Pansy. 

"Come down. Breakfast is ready." Ashley called out again making Hope yell out a 'fine.'

Done with her morning chores, Hope rushed downstairs greeting Ashley and her husband, David a good morning before taking a seat in front of the elder man.

"Slept well?" David asked, beaming at her for no reason. He loved it when Hope was around as the house sounded more lively unlike when she was away at hogwarts.

"Yes." Hope gave him a toothy smile and dug in her pancakes, savoring the finger - licking taste,"Merlin! Ashley this is so good!"

"Thank you Hope." Ashley ruffled her hair lovingly and poured some chocolate syrup on the pancakes.

 The family was halfway done with their breakfast when an owl came soaring inside through the window, dropping a letter in front of Hope's plate. She eyed the two adults who had questioning expression on their faces and she took it as a cue to open the letter.

"It's from McGonagall." She informed Ashley and David which made them even more curio to read the letter,"Should I read it?"

"Go ahead." Ashley nodded, desperately waiting for Hope to read.

"Dear Ashley and David." Hope cleared her throat and started reciting in a dramatic way,"With a very heavy heart I'm writing to you. Last night, the weasley's burrow was attacked by death eaters."

The playful smile on Hope's face was long gone, replaced by a worried frown as her hands started getting sweaty.

"Good thing nobody was hurt. Ashley, I'm only informing you about this is to keep this very piece of information away from Hope. She wouldn't like to know that her brother was attacked by bellatrix herself. Poor girl has already been through a lot."

Ashley snatched the letter out of Hope's grasp making the latter frown.

"Let me read it!" She protested.

"Hope." David started but Hope just glared at them and held her hands up, letting them know that she had had enough.

"Why don't you all understand?" She was already in tears,"I miss my brother but you all. . ." She sniffed and furiously wiped away her tears,"Wasn't it enough that you all kept him away from me? And now you don't even want me to be aware of his well being? What did I do to deserve this? He's my brother!"

"Hope ─" Ashley tried to hug the girl but she lightly pushed her away.

"I'm supposed to know if he's okay! What if he's hurt, injured or worse, dying? I won't be able to say even a goodbye to him? Don't do this to me! It hurts me. Why don't you all understand? Why. ."

"Hope." David tried, looking at her with his sympathetic brown eyes,"Calm down." He proceeded to pull her in a hug and this time, she didn't protest ; she let herself clung to his chest and cry. 

David rubbed her back soothingly and led her to the couch, sitting down with her while she cried, damping his shirt. Ashley brought a glass of water for Hope and fed her the pancakes with her own hands.

"It'll be alright." David tried to assure her and even though it sounded hollow to Hope, she kept quiet and ate.

Hope woke up with a start, drenched in sweat as she looked around trying to figure out what happened hours ago. She found herself on the couch in the living room and realized she might have fallen asleep after she confronted David and Ashley. Sighing, she looked around finding the whole house empty and realized that the couple must be out. She walked back upstairs and entered her room to find two letters on her study table.

She picked up the letter on the top to find it was from theodore which made a small smile appear on her lips.

Dear Hope,

A very happy birthday to you! Hope you're having a wonderful day and if not then I'll make sure to makeup for it. We can go to hogsemade together and visit the shrieking shack (I've always wanted to visit it.) but I really hope you're doing good. How was your Christmas though? Mine was alright. Father didn't care any less about me so yeah I was all alone though the house elf made a cake and we cut it together. It was kinda fun.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Theo.

Hope found herself smiling at the thought of visiting hogsemade with theodore. Her smile didn't last for long when she noticed the sender of the other letter ; Leo Malfoy.

Hope,

I heard it's your birthday. So a happy birthday to you. I guess. Have fun.

Signing off,

Leo Malfoy.

He's so weird, Hope thought. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

author's note : lol. hi. happy new year (in advance) bye.