Epilogue

Dear Journal didn't sound right in the top of his head. it sounded too pretty for a situation like this, one that forces him in a bunker with his knees pressed closed to his chest. The stinkiest stench from his uniform he wore the past few days and the growling pit of his stomach was becoming overbearing. Dear Journal sounded too casual and not as if he was in a peril. What should he call these? His final letters? If he were to die in these games, sure, but what if he doesn't? Perhaps, the what-if-I die letters, but that sounds stupid really. 

Denshi wanted to leave something for Mai if he were to die in these battlegrounds. Something that would remind him of his thoughts and at lest an explanation of what he was going through in the culling games. 

This was his latest entry: 

This might sound very twisted but Mai, I'm actually, genuinely, glad you are in a coma. Don't get mad  but it's better than being in the state than being where I am now. I'll give you the rundown. I ended up going to those culling games after leaving you with my family. It pained me to leave you but I think it would've pained me even more if I stayed, waiting and hoping you'd wake up. Even more so knowing all my friends went to risk their life to save Gojo and kill that pseudo Getou. It's a nightmare, Mai, but I'm grateful that I got stuck here with Maki. 

He held the ball-point pen he found days ago tightly but you can tell he was trembling while holding the pen. He took in a deep breath, 

I think if your sister weren't here right now, I'd be going mad. Some nights I wake up, screaming and crying after what happened to you and what I did to your family. If you're reading this right now, then you probably know that I killed them. 

He takes a glance at Maki who seems to be surveying the outside with the tiniest window carved in this bunker. 

Your sister's strong. She acts as if it was just another day but as for me, I don't regret what I've done killing them..but it was the way I killed them. Torturous and barbaric. I mean, killing them had to be done but now I'm haunted with those memories and of you, my love. Seeing you nearly bleed out to death will always be carved in my mind. It was horrific. I'm not blaming you, you couldn't prevent what happened. Now I cry and make noises, drawing attention to the enemy. Maki has scowled me a few times but even then, she doesn't blame me. I try my best to cover my mouth, taking in my deep breaths. It doesn't work sometimes. N-

Denshi stops writing when the pen he held dropped on his lap and then rolled out to the floor. He was anxious and that's why he dropped it. He stared at it for just a brief moment and before he decided to pick it right up, he stops when he notices the pen starts shaking. And it's not just the pen, it's the entire ground. Like an earthquake, the room starts thrashing and shaking and everything else turns distorted in his ears. Maki runs at him with her hands at his shoulders, screaming and spitting at him but he shakes his head in a daze. He couldn't make out what she was saying. His ears popped and now there was noise filling his ears.