Rivalry

Suree, he's her boyfriend

But he still made sure she was pulling her best punches towards him. She slides her feet on the dirt beneath her before launching her attack but her fist is then caught by his hand.

He grabs it steadily before wrapping his other hand at her hip, pulling her close like if they were dancing together.

He smiles with a teased expression. He makes the two sway their hips and Mai's face contorts with frustration.

"Look at us, we're dancing!" He exclaims and Mai grunts, letting go of her fist before trying to slam her foot at his crotch. He's quick to move backwards, chuckling at her.

"Ugh, this isn't funny, Den!" Mai groaned, pacing around the training ground before looking at her boyfriend again. "Geez, the Kyoto event is literally tomorrow and I still can't fight well.."

Her whole head felt like she was spinning. She was tired and felt she was slowly going a bit crazy for not perfecting her fighting moves Den and Todo taught her.

All this training and at what result?!

"I-I'm going to be useless!"

Denshi's eyes furrow at her and points a finger. He pouts,

"Hey, what did I say about putting yourself down?" He exclaimed before turning his eyes at Miwa and Mechamaru who was watching from the bleachers.

"Miwa, add another point to the score." He says.

"You got it!" She beams before whipping out a chalkboard and putting another point on it. Mai looks confused by this.

"Umm..what is that, by the way?"

"Oh, it's a tally of how many times you put yourself down," He smiles so innocently. "Miwa's got one too, but she's beating you by a long shot."

Miwa bashfully rubs the back of her head and laughs at Denshi's response. She can't help but call herself useless despite what Mechamaru and Denshi thinks.

Oh for each little put down comment she makes, the more she has to sacrifice a dime or a penny later on.

Denshi and Mechamaru has enough to buy themselves a bowl of ramen.

"You really gotta stop putting yourself down. Otherwise, you'll just become homeless." Mechamaru tells Miwa who simply shrieks at the possible outcome.

"And what about me?" Mai asked.

"Welll the same thing is for you too ~! You've said enough for me to buy two curry buns for myself for the long run."

She rolls her eyes before nudging him by the shoulder.

"Oh shush, I have every right to feel that way!" She panics with a frown. "I've tried to imbue my fist with the remaining curse energy I have but nothing!"

Denshi thinks until something comes out of his mind,

"Mai, look at your hand. What's the smallest features on it?"

She looks down and the sudden squeeze he gave around her hand gave her a hint. They way her knuckles folded made her realize that answer.