Midnight Vow I

"Mother, 

I'm marrying Mai Zenin today. 

Can you believe it? A couple of seventeen year olds thinking they're old and mature enough to make a decision so huge as this, you surely think I'm crazy right? Crazy in a good way, I imagine. I know you're watching over me and I promise you, mom, I know what I'm doing. Like you said, life is too short and it's true, especially as a jujutsu sorcerer. I don't know if I too will die soon but if I do, I would regret not marrying the girl of my dreams. I hope you're proud of me mother and I ask you this, please, protect your daughters, Mai..and me."

Denshi sighs, staring into the engraved words Eru Fujiki written across the stone tablet planted in his backyard. He just planted fresh yellow flowers before confessing his big secret. 

Denshi never shied away from the idea of marriage. Okay, maybe he had been bashful a couple of times whenever his mother recounted the time she married his father but the concept hadn't bugged him at all. Kids' faces would wrinkle in disgust as they tell themselves they'd never get married when they grow up. Though Denshi didn't shrug it off and let the idea play in his head. He'd blush at the idea to be with someone till the rest of his life. To protect them dearly as they do the same. The wedding bells, the gowns and suits. Everything about it sounded like a fairytale. 

Little Denshi never wanted to admit he was a romantic. Poor him would only get teased by Uncle Gojo so he'd creep to himself in his room with the book he'd stole from his sisters. Stories of romance, love and happy endings. He can't help but admit that's all he ever wants aside from honoring the family name. 

Truth is, Denshi never had much friends in his childhood. While surrounded by loving family members and clan members, sure, but he was always isolated from other youths or anyone outside of the circle. Falling in love was so easy for him. And so when he met Mai Zenin the first time, he knew she'd be the one. 

'I'm getting married today,' he thought to himself but then he said it again, much louder and clearer in his head. So much so it gave him a headache, but oddly he wanted to keep this feeling. His headache got him excited and as much as he wanted to tell his sisters right at this moment, his lips had to remain sealed. He'd tell them later of course but for their own safety they couldn't know for a short while. 

-

It's a cold night and the harsh wind almost whisked the ends of her dress upwards and with a blush, Mai pulled it down quickly as she trotted her way to their secret ceremony. The bouquet in her hands had lost most of their petals yet even so, she carried a smile on her face so happily when the candle lights illuminated closer and closer to her eye view. Everything turned to a fairytale. 

Denshi was dressed in white with the family symbol worn proudly behind his back. When he saw Mai, he was stunned. Stunned because the dress his mother wore in her own wedding day managed to fit Mai so well. It hugged her body tightly and the laces of the dress made her look like a princess. He was almost shaking his head in disbelief--is this a dream

Mai walked up the stairs and let out a huff of annoyance when the edges of the veil tickled the side of her cheek. Denshi laughed with her, holding her hand with the family priest standing right there with them.