Chapter 16

Katelyn's POV

"What are you doing here?" I asked Auston as we stopped hugging.

"Patrick invited me." Auston said. "And he gave me his keys." He held up the small keychain.

I looked at him amazed.

"Let's go." He led me to the car and we began driving.

"Where are we going?" I asked while I looked out the window to try and see.

I felt all of the memories flood back when he pulled into a familiar parking spot.

I looked up at him with excitement in my eyes. We were at the old skating rink that Patrick and I learned to play hockey on.

"You have some stuff back here." Auston said as he reached into the back seat to pull out my skates and warm clothes.

"Oh my god! I'm so excited!" I quickly threw on the warm clothes and grabbed my skates.

I sat on a bench while I tied my laces. Auston sat next to me also tying his.

"I haven't skated in awhile." I said as I hesitantly stepped on the ice.

"I'll help you." Auston stepped on the ice and grabbed my hand so I wouldn't fall.

I quickly got the hang of it and began skating. The rink had some kids also enjoying the ice so Auston and I stayed skating around the circle.

~~~

About an hour passed. Auston and I continued to skate around while the rink cleared out leaving us alone. A car pulled up revealing Patrick and someone else in the passenger seat who I couldn't identify.

The mystery person stepped out revealing my dad.

"Oh Patrick, this is the best surprise ever." I skated over to him where he began putting his skates on.

"I thought you'd like it." He said as he stepped on.

"Hey kids, I got something for you." My dad said as he pulled a few hockey sticks out of the car.

"This is my old stick." I said taking the familiar stick from him.

"Looks like it still fits." He said as I held the stick up to my body for measurements.

I put a puck down and began stick handling it just how Patrick taught me at such a young age.

"Wow that's pretty impressive." Auston skated over as he grabbed a stick from my dad. Auston tried taking the puck from me but failed.

"Good try Matthews." Patrick laughed as he then tried to take the puck from me and also failed.

"The top 2 point leaders and she's still better." My dad laughed at the boys.

"Matthews is my biggest competitor, but growing up, she was." Patrick said.

We began skating around with the puck. We were passing, shooting, and just having fun.

"I missed this." My dad said from sitting on the bench. I passed to the puck to Auston and joined him.

"Me too." I said sitting on the bench. I watched Auston and Patrick try to steal the puck from each other.

"I didn't know Auston Matthews was your boyfriend." My dad said. I looked at him confused.

"Oh he's not my boyfriend. Just a friend." I said.

"That boy looks at you with so much love in his eyes." He said back. I looked up at Auston who just stole the puck from Patrick and looked up at me with a smile on his face. Is Auston in love with me? Am I in love with Auston?

 Is Auston in love with me? Am I in love with Auston?

Katelynkane: moments like these

~~~

"I'll see you soon?" Auston asked. Him, Patrick, and I just got through security at the airport. We were at the point where we go our own ways.

I nodded my head suddenly feeling the sadness wash over me. "I'm going to miss you." I hugged him not knowing when the next time I'll see him is.

Patrick gave Auston a bro hug and Auston took off in the opposite direction of us.

"Thank you so much." I said as I followed Patrick towards the gate to our plane. Patrick gave me a simple smile and we were off to Chicago.