Chapter 12

Katelyn's POV

I took a deep breath as I made it to the locker room.

The door instantly flew open and Mitch appeared. He was still wearing his jersey and all of his gear. He stared at me, out of breath from the game that he just played.

"Well..?" I broke the awkward silence.

"Please stay here. Just give us a little bit." He said as he walked back into the locker room. Maybe this was a mistake. Maybe I should just leave.

I decided to just wait. I watched as all the guys walked out. Most were giving me weird looks.

Auston and Mitch were the only two still in the locker room. I still waited for about 10 minutes before the door opened up again. Revealing a boy that I liked so much but it hurt so bad seeing him.

"Your brother's not here is he?" Auston said in a panicked voice as he looked around.

"No it's just me." I rolled my eyes. Just then, Mitch came out and joined us. He didn't say anything. "Are you guys going to explain or...?"

"I'm sorry." Auston said as he tried to hold back tears. I could see the pain in his face. "I had to Katelyn."

"Had to what? Lead me on and then completely ignore me?" I bursted back.

"I had to, for my career." He stepped closer to me.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Auston no." Mitch whispered to him. "We need this."

"But I need her." Auston said to Mitch.

"What the hell are you guys talking about?"

Auston took a deep breath before he continued. "Patrick said he'd let me be the point leader if I stopped talking to you."

"That's not true. I know how important that is to him." I said.

"Not as important as you." Mitch softly said as he lowered his head.

"And you agreed?" I looked at Auston. I was hurt. He took the offer instead of me.

"At first, yeah. But then I quickly realized that I needed you more." Auston said.

I slowly nodded my head taking it all in. "Have fun being the point leader." I said as I turned past them and began walking away.

Auston sniffled as a tear went down his face. "Katelyn please!" I ignored his pleading call and kept walking away.

~~~

Patrick's POV

"Hey Jon." I walked into his apartment. "I have to go."

"Go where?" He asked while he flipped through the tv turing on the Buffalo vs Toronto postgame show.

"There." I pointed at the tv.

"Buffalo? We got a game here tomorrow." He looked up at me like I was crazy for saying I'm going to miss the game.

"Katelyn's there." I said hoping he would understand.

"Oh of course. And you're worried about her talking to Auston." Jonathan rolled his eyes.

"Actually that's not what I'm afraid of at all. It's my family that I'm scared of." I said.

"Come on Kaner, they're not going to do anything bad."

"The things that I've heard them say about her would break her." I said. "Actually, I've got an idea..." I pulled out my phone and began texting someone that I've never thought I'd be texting at a time like this. Auston.