Chapter 9

Katelyn's POV

I stood up watching the ice as Auston beat Patrick in the puck handling competition. Auston skated towards Patrick and held out his hand. My heart dropped but I quickly smiled when Patrick grabbed his hand back.

The next competition was the trick shot. Meaning each guy had a chance to do any trick or any cool thing to get a goal. Patrick was apart of this but I have no idea what he has planned.

The announcer said Patrick's name and he skated towards the center of the ice. Everyone stood up watching to see what he has planned. I watched as he began taking off his red Blackhawks jersey to reveal a different jersey.

My jersey.

My jersey from the last year that I played hockey with my number 89. My hands flew up to my mouth as I tried to hold my tears back.

He then took the puck and began skating forward. He took the puck, passed it between his legs. I knew exactly what move he was doing. My signature move when we were kids messing around on our backyard ice rink. He shot it making the goal. He turned around facing my direction and pointed up at me. I clutched the arm of my jersey that I decided to wear. My 88 Kane jersey instead of my 34 Matthews one.

I felt the tears fall down my face. I felt honored that he would do that for me and I felt like a horrible sister for lying and betraying him.

~~~

I walked down towards Patrick's and Auston's teams locker room. I waited outside as many superstars walked out before mine.

"Hey." Auston smiled walking out before Patrick.

"I'm sorry but can you keep going? I'm going to try to talk to Patrick." I slightly smiled hoping he would understand.

He clenched his jaw and then nodded. "Yeah that's a good idea." I can tell he was slightly hurt but he kept walking.

As Auston walked away Patrick walked out of the locker room. He made eye contact with me but kept walking.

"Wait!" I yelled and ran to him. Before he could even comprehend what was happening I was hugging him. He slowly began to hug me back. "Thank you for that."

We let go and he looked at me. He examined my Kane jersey.

"Can we please talk about everything?" I asked with pleading eyes. He thought about it for a second but I didn't get the response I was hoping for.

"No." Was all he said. Instantly I couldn't hold my tears back any longer.

"Patrick please." I cried as he began to walk away.

"I love you Katelyn. But I can't do this." He said as he walked out of sight.

I felt an arm wrap about my shoulders. It was a familiar touch. I already knew it was Jonathan before even looking. I laid my head on his shoulder and let the tears flow.

~~~

NHL: why can't we be friends 🎶

austonmatthews: that's what I'm saying

"Did you see what the nhl posted?" I asked Auston. Jonathan, Mitch, Auston, and I were just sitting around in our hotel room.

All of the boys answered with a simple mhm.

Just then I got a text from my sister Erica.

'I got your bridesmaid dress. I hope you love it!'

'Yay! I can't wait to see it.'

"Is that Erica?" Jonathan asked snooping at my phone.

"Yeah she's talking about the wedding." I sighed. "I don't think I can go if Patrick's not on my side."

"Let me go with you." Auston cut in. I looked at him with wide eyes. "I know it sounds crazy but then Patrick will see that I'm a good guy and that I can treat you right."

"That's a good idea." Mitch said.

"Jonathan?" I looked at him for his opinion.

"Don't look at me. I just don't know anymore."

"Great." I mumbled. I have a feeling this will just make everything worse.