Chapter 10

Katelyn's POV

Patrick and Auston's team got knocked out of the All Star Game first. Instead of going down to the locker room I waited in my seat so I can watch Mitch and Jonathan play. Sadly, their teams also got knocked out. I went down to their locker room and waited for Jonathan.

"Time to go home." Jonathan said as he walked out. I followed him as I heard the locker room door fling open.

"You're not even going to say goodbye?" Mitch sounded hurt.

"I thought I'd see you again." I said taking a step closer towards him.

"No our team is leaving straight from here for the airport. We already packed everything." He said showing me his bag.

"Oh no.." I whispered. "Where's Auston?"

"He probably already left for the airport. His team lost an hour ago."

I walked up to Mitch giving him a hug. "Goodbye Mitch."

He tightened the hug.

"I'm sorry but I need to find Auston." I said letting go.

"Yeah you do." He smiled. "I hope we can see you again soon."

"Me too." I smiled back and then quickly took off past Jonathan. To find Auston.

"Hey he already left." Jonathan caught up grabbing my arm.

"No!" I ripped my arm away from him. "He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye. He's at his locker room. I know it." I checked my phone to see if he made any contact. Nothing, so I texted him.

'Hey Matts where are you?'
*Not Delivered*

"He blocked me..?" I whispered looking at the unsent text message.

"He blocked you? What?" Mitch took my phone to see for himself.

"Maybe his phones dead. I'll try."

Mitch texted Auston and the message sent. Auston instantly texted back.

"He said 'hurry up we're leaving'" Mitch said relaying the message. I felt my heart shatter because Auston was avoiding me.

"Let's go.." Jonathan said leading me to the car so we can go back to Chicago.

~~~

Jonathan's POV

I walked onto the airplane to see Patrick already waiting. Katelyn slowly followed behind me sulking the whole way to the back of the plane.

"What's up Kaner?" I asked taking a seat next to him. He didn't seem too happy about it. He nodded his head as a response.

"Look dude, she's breaking." I said nodding my head towards Katelyn. "Give her a break."

"Give her a break?" He slightly chuckled. "She needs to give me a break."

"Auston stopped talking to her, did you have anything to do with that?" I asked.

He shrugged.

"Of course." I softly said. "Just give the guy a chance for fucks sake."

"So you're friends with them now too." He said.

"I just want her to be happy." I said. "They aren't bad guys."

"And I just want what's best for her." He said getting louder. I looked over to her to see if she could hear. She couldn't. "I want you to stay away from her."

"Stay away from her? Kaner I'm all she has. She's like a sister to me." I said defending myself to his ridiculous request.

"But she's not your sister, she's mine." He firmly said looking me straight in the eyes. "Kick her out and leave her alone. Or I'll tell coach why you really missed 3 practices."

A few weeks ago I missed 3 practices from being hung over. I told coach I had a family problem.

"You're blackmailing me."

"I'm doing what's best for her." He said looking away from me. "Bring her to your place and tell her to pack her things."

"Yeah that's a good idea. Just let her go live with Auston." I said.

"We don't have to worry about him anymore."

"We? I wasn't worried about him in the first place. You're a dick brother Patrick and you're going to push her away completely." I said getting up and sitting at different spot completely away from both of them. I couldn't let our coach find out about the hangover. I'll lose the Captain title.

~~~

Katelyn's POV

I waited outside for Jonathan to open the door to his apartment. He hasn't said a word to me since we left Florida but I think it's just because we're both confused about what happened with Auston.

"Hey Kate.." Jonathan slowly started to say as he put his keys onto the counter. I turned giving him my attention. "I think you should get your own place."

Hearing that come out of his mouth kind of hurt. I didn't think he'd even want me to leave. "I'm trying Jon. I work almost every-"

"Yeah but you have enough to leave now." He cut me off. I stood there with a confused look on my face. "You don't always have to live in one of these big apartments. Just find something small, something you could afford."

"Okay.." I was unsure of what to say. "Now?"

He nodded his head. I took that as my que to pack my things. I quickly packed everything that I needed and began to walk out the door. I waited for him to call my name and say he was just joking but he said something else. "Maybe you should go back to Buffalo." I ignored him and walked outside while I held my bags. Where am I supposed to go?

I traveled the sidewalks of Chicago. I walked away from the nice buildings and found myself in a small rundown neighborhood. It seemed dangerous.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing in this part of town?" A creepy guy who was atleast 50 said. I ignored him and kept walking. I found a small apartment complex but it was nothing compared to what I'm used to. A small rat ran outside when I opened the door to the lobby.

"How can I help you?" A lady whose voice sounded like she's been smoking for 40 years said without looking up at me.

"Do you have any apartments available?" I shyly asked.

"Sure do. You got $400?" She asked. I nodded my head as a response. She grabbed a key and held it while she stared at me. "Money first."

"Oh. Yeah." I quickly said and gave her the money. She handed me the key and I followed the hallway looking for the room number that matched the key.

I unlocked the door and a guy was sitting on the bed. He looked homeless and dirty.

"Umm hi?" I questioned.

"You didn't see me!" He yelled and ran out past me.

"Oh my god." I whispered to myself as I quickly closed the door and locked it. I looked around at my new apartment. It was one room. Inside was a bed, a tiny tv, a microwave, and a fridge that was very loud. This is now home.

On my walk to work I took a picture with a mirror I found on the street.

katelynkane: new beginnings

Yet no comments or likes from any of the hockey players I was hoping for.