Chapter six - A gift from China

The 2 weeks I've spent with Tom were amazing... but so short at the same time! Where did the time go? Every time I was with him, the hours were flying by. 

Unfortunately, the day where Tom had to go back to England with the team GB was here in a heartbeat.    The evening before, we spend the whole night talking about random stuff, laughing, singing the stupidest songs,... We didn't wanted to fall asleep, we wanted to enjoy as much as we could the hours we had together. 

The morning was horrible. Tom has to go to the aquatic center for a last training before heading to the airport in the late afternoon. We say our goodbyes, very coldly, and to my eyes, it felt like we were saying our farewells. We've only been together for not even 2 weeks, but I know deep down that there is something special with that one. I can feel it in my bones, he's "the one", as cheesy as it can sound and it breaks my heart to know that he's leaving. I've never believed in long-distance relationships. As special as this one seems, I know it never really last. What I had with Chris was nothing like what I have now with Tom, but still, I knew that nothing would be the same and that our relationship wouldn't survive. We don't say a word during breakfast, I had a lump in my throat. 

At work it is almost more horrible. I'm not in the mood for work, I can't focus, Thomas is the only thing on my mind. But in the early afternoon, I get a phone call from the receptionist to inform me that a certain Mr Daley was asking for me. I tell her to send him up to my office. He comes in, walks straight to me, kisses me and look me in the eyes.

"You really do look like hell" He says seeing the consequences of the sleepless night and sadness on my face. 

"Thanks... and aren't you supposed to be at the airport by now?"

"I just couldn't leave like that. All day during training, I couldn't focus, my mind was elsewhere. I thought about this morning, about the way we said goodbye. We can't leave like that. And I want you to know that even though I'm going back to the UK today, it's not over for me. There's a great thing between, something special, we can't deny it. We just clicked" He says, still cupping my face. 

"But how is this supposed to work? We don’t even live in the same country! You are an international diver based in England. I can’t afford to travel back and forth and even if I could, we both know that on the long term, that’s never gonna work like that."

"Then just come with me! Follow me!" He says

"What? No! I have my job here, my apartment, Clara,… I just can’t leave everything behind like that. "

"Val, listen to me. I’m going to Shanghai on Sunday. By the time I’m back, I’ll have figured something out, ok? But keep in mind that for me, it’s not over. I don’t care what it takes; I’m not leaving you behind, understood?"

"Understood" I say. Those words made me feel so happy, but I was still so doubtful. But he said it, it's not over and he's not leaving me behind... I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty cute.

"Finally, I get a smile! Come here" he says, hugging me tight. 

We kept sending so many text messages every day and we were on Skype as often as we could. We were really trying to stay in touch and to keep our relationship going. Then, Tom has to leave for Shanghai to defend his World Champion Title. I bought the digital TV package to make sure I'll have the channel that was going to broadcast Tom's competition. Clara was still thinking I was a little bit insane, but I didn't care! Tom had previously explained me everything I had to know about diving (the scores, the dive groups,  the rip entry,...) We were watching the competition with Clara and her boyfriend Leigh. I couldn't stop saying "When Tom Daley is diving, you shut the fuck up!" because Leigh had that bad habit of talking at a bad moment when we were watching TV. 

The competition didn't really go as planned, I guess. Tom finished 5th in individual and 6th in synchro with Pete. I knew he was disappointed, him being so perfectionist. But on the bright sight, that place still assured him to be qualified for the Olympic Games exactly one year away. 

During his trip in China, I received an envelope. Right when Clara handed it to me, I got a huge smile on my face because the handwriting was familiar... and the stamp was from China. I open it as fast as I can without ripping everything and I find a plane ticket for London with a postcard. Before he left, I told him I've always hated postcard because I think they are too old-fashioned. If you really want to send me something, then send me something where you can write more than 10 words! To make of me, Tom told me that he would send me a postcard from every place he'll travel to from now on.

On the postcard, I could read: " I know that only a weekend in London is not going to resolve our problem but I miss you and, who knows? Maybe we'll find a solution together. I can't wait to see you. I'll pick you up at the airport and we'll do absolutely everything you want to do. Take care. Tom Xx". That was it, I was acting like a teenager again, jumping everywhere with my plane ticket in my hand.