Chapter 1- A Vengeful Woman

Start from the beginning

"That's because you're just a terrible businessman who doesn't know how to run a damn company!" I lost my composure. "Why the hell should it matter to me what happens to the rest of your companies, you are the only one to blame!" But as quickly as my anger came, it subsided as I realised that I was better than this.

"Leave now before I end up doing more than just shouting at you, but remember this, Donovan; unlike your disloyal self, I will not leave my company in your hands for long,"

Turning around, he embraced the woman that used to work for us, kissing her tenderly as he used to always do to me, before sparing me a last, pitiful glance, and going on his way.

"I am sorry that I couldn't have been of more help, Mrs Moretti. With all the evidence that we had to prove that Luxurian was your company, I don't know what was wrong with the judge," My lawyer, Nathanial spoke up from beside me.

"It's Miss Russo now, Nate. I am no longer married, and no longer part of the Moretti family... To be honest, I've always liked my maiden name better than my married one, Angelina Russo just fits me better than Angelina Moretti,"

I spared the lawyer a humorous glance as he chuckled, fiddling with the pile of papers he held in his tight grip, the look of shame unmoving from his face.

"And, the problem wasn't you, you are a brilliant lawyer. I underestimated Donovan's connections. That judge had either been bought out, or he was one of Donovan's men to start with. I had no chance from the beginning," I sighed, collapsing back on the chair as I ran a hand through my hair, staring blankly ahead of me.

"But you know, Donovan wasn't always such a prick, he was once the man of my dreams. We met at University but didn't start talking until we had a project together. I only agreed to date him after many of his proposals. He had always been there for me as I grew my business, so I didn't hesitate in saying yes when he asked me to marry him,"

I grinned, possibly the saddest grin ever, to Nathanial, as he simply sat next to me, looking at me as if I were about to break into a hundred pieces.

"I guess I wasn't as good a wife as I was a girlfriend. 3 years of dating reduced to 1 year of marriage, in which he didn't even have the nerve to tell me he had been cheating,"

I guess, out of everything that's happened today, I've been hit with the realisation that I was never enough for anybody. Not once in my life have I felt like I truly mattered to someone, and that feeling has never felt more real than right now.

Maybe, just a little bit, I kind of want to die. Just to see if anyone would mourn for me.

But then I think about everything that I would leave behind, and decide against it. I worked hard to create Luxurian, my perfume company, so to me, it's so much more than my source of income, and if I am to leave this company to a man like Donovan then it won't last long.

"I think... For now, we should retreat. Go home, get some rest, and once we're thinking more clearly, we'll plan our next steps to get you your company back..." Nathanial was a good man, you could just tell from the way he held himself and to the way he spoke to people. Why could I not have seen that Donovan was nothing like this earlier on? He was a man that held himself above everyone else because of his title, his wealth, and his influence.

But I was a woman blinded by her love for the wrong person. And I am paying for that now.

"Um... Miss Russo?"

"Have you got any children?" I curiously asked, eyes unmoving from the large statue in front of me as I sat with my legs crossed on the uncomfortable chair.

"Yes, I have a boy, an annoying little brat really," I smiled at that.

"I don't have any children, but I've always wanted a little girl... Luxurian is a company I created with love, I raised and nurtured it, and while it was difficult to bring it as far as I have, I am proud to see what it has become. I believe raising a child is similar to some extent, there is no easy road. And you will do whatever you can to protect it,"