Chapter 9: Show Me the Past, Part 3

Hours of near-endless driving later, Demetria made it just outside of a certain familiar town.

She looked up and witnessed the only sign for miles; it read 'Welcome to Radiator Springs!'

"I'm here. I can't believe I've found the place." Demetria sighed. She wore a big, dumb smile as she did so.

"Now, I just have to find out where exactly this town is," Demetria asked herself.

As luck would have it, she wasn't alone. The town's now-iconic Sheriff sat underneath the sign, dozing off on the job.

"Uhh, excuse me, sir," Demetria asked.

The Sheriff jumped up and stood in a defensive stance.

"Whoa, there!" the Sheriff yelled.

"I'm sorry, but do you know where I can find Radiator Springs?" Demetria asked.

"Why, you're in Radiator Springs, young lady! The cutest little town in Carburetor County..." the Sheriff perked up.

"Great! Oh, thank the Manufacturer!" Demetria sighed.

"Just down the road there, you'll find the town square. Enjoy your stay!" the Sheriff wished.

"Thank you, and I will!" Demetria assured.

She went to race off to the town. Before doing so, she hesitated and turned toward the Sheriff.

"Thank you for your service, sir. You're truly an American hero." Demetria wished.

The Sheriff's dozy gaze then straightened out; looking over to Demetria with a smile abroad his bumper.

"Why, thank you very much, young lady. Glad to be of service. Now, I'll be back to my job and not dozing on it. Heh. You enjoy your stay!" the Sheriff grinned.

"Oh, I definitely will now! See you around!" Demetria assured as she raced off toward the town.

"See you around? What is she; a frequent tourist? Let's try thinking about it from the back of my eyelids..." the Sheriff said to himself, cozying up for another nap...

-----

Demetria arrived at the first place she could see in the town; the Cozy Cone. As luck would have it, a familiar car tended to the place that day...

"Welcome to the Cozy Cone! How may I help you?" Sally asked.

"Hello! I'm Demetria, and you are?" Demetria asked.

"Sally Carerra-McQueen. I think you'd know my husband." Sally said.

"Lightning? Yeah, everybody knows him. But between you and me... I think you're the smarter one." Demetria chuckled.

"Oh, you flatter me! Now, what can I help you with?" Sally asked, wearing a smile.

"Where can I find a place to live?" Demetria asked.

"...wha?" Sally returned a confused expression. She had never been asked where to live by a customer before...

"Is there any way I can stay here? I've always heard about this place but never got to come here, until now!" Demetria assured.

"Well...I...uhh..." Sally sighed.

Sally looked around in a bit of a panic, trying to find an answer. Then suddenly it came to her...

"Oh! You can live in our curios just down the street there. Our old friend Lizzy recently passed and it needs occupation." Sally asked.

"...I don't intend to offend, but I do have a doctor's degree..." Demetria pointed out.