Chapter 1

The air pushed my hair away from my face as my Winterdrake, Alastor, flew through the thin clouds with his powerful wings. His white horns also helped to push through the clouds.

The Misty Mountians was coming up quickly. I pulled back on the leather straps that made up his bridle. He turned to fly inbetween the jagged peaks.

We were lucky the Stone Giants that inhabited them laid asleep. Fresh snow covered them, they was so close I could reach out and grab a handful.

Rivendell was in the distance, the heavy fog was creeping around it. The city was already a pain to fly into. Add fog into the mix and it was much more difficult to navigate.

A sharp whistle came past my lips. A simple order.

Alastor flapped his leathery wings in response. The wind was now a roar when he went faster against the wind.

Bree was the next major settlement to appear on the horizon. Alastor landed in a clearing outside the city.

Having a dragon came with added hostility from others in Middle Earth. If I could hide Alastor from them I would.

His silver body landed with a heavy thump on the rocky ground.

I jumped off his back landing with a simple grunt. Turning to the saddle, I worked to untie my quiver of arrows and my bow.

I had to hunt. Keeping my strength up was difficult, feeding a dragon was even tougher.

"My you are a hard person to track down." An elderly voice came from behind me.

I gasped, about to crawl out of my skin and hide. "Crid fil dre," I swore in the Tamer's language.

Turning around I saw Gandalf the Grey, an old friend, leaning on a nearby tree, smoking his pipe.

Alastor's harsh scolding came into my head. "No need to swear hellfire down Milady."

I had forgotten about the mindlink that Tamers and their Tamed have. I sighed gathering my bearings and tried to calm my beating heart down.

Gandalf smiled. "You haven't changed Ira" He walked closer, a glimmer of amusement shined in his grey eyes.

Slinging my quiver to my back, I smiled softly. "You startled me old friend."

"Well now, this is a fine chance, what brings Ira Stormbreaker to the outskirts of Bree?"

"Staying on the move. You know how others are since, you know, the Lonely Mountian." I turned to fully face him.

"Yes, I understand," Gandalf replied. "That is why I'm here to ask for your assistance, to reclaim the Mountian from the Lost One."

White hot anger boiled in the pit of my stomach at the mention of the owner of that name. Smaug was the one who wipped out my mother's family, he destroyed them.

My fingers gripped my bow, my eyes pulsed against my temples. "Alastor is still too young to face that fell beast. He's only three thousand years old."

"Your name suits you, Stormbreaker. Come now you rage for revenge. If you don't do something now when his guard is down, it will eat you alive." Gandalf leaned on his staff.

I looked up at him. "What's this for Gandalf? You wouldn't have sought me out if you didn't need me."

"There is a group of Dwarves who need your help in getting the Arkenstone."

I scoffed. "The Arkenstone, if they had never uncovered that wretched thing, Smaug would never have become lost to the Tamers."

"You are half Dwarf and Tamer, Ira. Both sides of your kin was destroyed by the dragon. It's time you set your grief and rage upon your enemy."