14. As If Nothing Happened

Start from the beginning

My head was spinning just thinking about if he was going to bring it up. The moment was intense and he was a crazed person lost in his head.

Slowly, without making a single noise or even greeting him, I slip into my chair and faced forward. I tried my best to keep calm and relaxed but I couldn't. Especially when I can feel his eyes on me.

I didn't need to turn for confirmation. It was a strange feeling but I knew he was staring at me.

The bell rang and Mr. Finsley wasted no time in going over the project. After a few minutes of him talking, I shifted in my seat.

He was still staring at me.

"Alright, students. Don't disappoint." Mr. Finsely dismisses us into our groups and I take a few breaths, preparing myself to face him.

Students got out of their chairs and went to their partners or groups while all I had to do was turn around. I still can't believe Mercer made himself my partner.

"Are you going to turn around, Red, or do I have to come to you?" The amusement in his deep voice was clear as day.

Exhaling slowly, I turned to face him meeting his gaze.

"Still ignoring me?" He mused.

I blinked, getting my mind together. What to say to someone that found this genre situation humorous. Or did?

Pushing aside his words, I pulled out a piece of paper with a list of suggestions for our project. "I think we can come up with a name after we figure out our topic."

A few books to the side, I pulled out a pen when I heard him chuckle softly. Lifting my head to meet his eyes once again, they twinkled.

"You serious?" He mutters, blue orbs flickering across my face.

"What?"

Oh, please don't bring it up. Please don't.

"You're going to sit here as if nothing happened." He mutters intensely, eyes narrowed softly.

"Nothing did happen." I say and he frowns as if I said something after to offend him.

I mean it was true. Nothing happened between us in the locker room. Sure, Mercer acted all caveman for no reason just because he saw me with Carson but he had no authority over me. I was my own person just as he was. I don't go around telling him who he can and can't talk to.

He hums letting his tongue run across his bottom lip, my eyes following the action. Clearing my throat and looking away from the sight, I grabbed my pen and began to write.

"Difficult." He mumbles.

"What?"

He shakes his head, contemplating. "I said you're difficult."

He has had some nerve to talk. It was a challenge to deal with Mercer. Specifically, if I have to see him every day. Heck, I tutor the guy, and not only do his mood swings and overbearing actions make me angry at times but make him difficult to deal with.

I sighed. "How am I difficult?"

"You acting as if nothing didn't happen in the locker room."

I scoffed. "All I remember is you demanding I stay away from Carson." And the fact that your hand around my throat awakened foreign feelings.

Gone was his amusement, a serious look on his face replacing it. "And I see the motherfucker is still sniffing around you."

"What is your problem? We're just friends." I say letting my attitude slip.