He has a big family to help him through whatever happened last night. His uncles and aunts, grandparents and cousins will be there to see him through. Aiden is strong and determined, he'll recover and make his dreams reality. He'll have surgery or whatever is needed because his family will make certain of it. Aiden's world will move on. Dad has only me.

I'm alone, it's just me.

I haven't been able to reach Fran. I tried to reach her but got only her voicemail. I didn't want to tell her in a message what's happening. I asked her to call me back, that it's important she call me back but she hasn't. I'm alone.

I'm expected to make life or death decisions for him. I'm not ready for that. How do I know what the right thing is? What if I choose wrong? What happens if I lose him because I make the wrong choice?

I tried when my brain was still firing on all cylinders to call Hunter. I wanted to have a shoulder to lean on. Someone to help me make the decision but I don't want to think about what I'm supposed to do. I don't want to think that I might lose my father. I just want my daddy. I want to curl up in his lap with the sound of the ballgame on the TV, softly giving the play by play from the other room as he rocks me to sleep.

I want to wake up from this nightmare to find myself in my bedroom at home. To wake to the smell of bacon and strong coffee, waffles and maple syrup. I want to come downstairs to find him cooking eggs at the stove while the coffee percolates on the old burner.

I want to know he's going to be fine. But his prognosis doesn't look good.

The last words he said to me were to not worry so much. Life works itself out. He just wants me to be happy. He knows I'm a worrier. I don't remember what I said to him. I don't know if I said that I love him, or how much I appreciate everything he's given up for me. I don't know if he knows all that. I don't know if I said that I love him so much. My rock.

My head hurts almost as much as my heart does. I don't know how to do this without him. I don't know what to do if I lose him. Why did this happen? Why? He's such a good honest man. He's never hurt a soul. Why him? Why wasn't the other driver hurt just as badly? Why?

Anger wells up into a frantic jag of tears. Hot and heavy spilling down my cheeks and I hiccup trying to catch my breath. I don't want this responsibility. I just want my dad. Just him and I promise, I'll quit school and stay here. I won't leave him again.

"Riley?" At the sound of my name, I lift my tear drenched face to look at the woman before me.

It doesn't register who she is. Although her face is familiar, I stare up blankly at green eyes that show understanding and pain. Her gray and black hair is swept up away from her face and hot pink sunglasses rest like a crown on top of her head.

Her UCLA sweatshirt is pushed up at the elbows and the jeans she wears has seen better days. My eyes fall to the tile floor and glimpse the pink chucks on her feet. I know her or she's a figment of my imagination. Either way, I'm glad she's here.

"Honey? Oh, lord child, tell me it isn't as bad as it looks." She asks, sitting down next to me and wrapping me up in her welcoming arms.

Those strong arms surround me as I go limp with heavy sobs. My head leans to her shoulder as I let it all out. Her soft murmurs of sympathy and consolation fill me. I'm not alone. She's here to help me through this. She won't make the wrong decision and will make sure I won't either.

"Are you my fairy godmother or did you just read my mind?" The whispered thought makes her laugh.

The sweet rumble of laughter as she rocks me side to side sounds like music. "Oh, sweet pea, I've been known to read my children's minds on occasion but I've never been called a fairy godmother. You just take it easy now. I'm right here to take care of everything. You aren't alone, baby girl. Never alone again."