Chapter 26

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 26

Aiden

Seeing Grandma laying in the bed sitting up now looking at me, I feel like maybe she's going to be okay. Grace who was sitting with her got up and as she passed me she gave my hand a squeeze. "No wild parties, Georgia. I'll know if you have one."

"I love you, Grace honey, but sometimes you're really a party pooper." Grandma fires back at her. "I'll tell you what, I'll have you paged when the strippers get here."

Grace laughed holding the door open. "Now I know where Jake got it from. Don't you corrupt these two. I'll be nearby if you need me."

She's awesome. Kincade got lucky getting adopted by her and Jake. I know Grace went through a lot with the cancer but it brought her closer to Jake. It brought her into the family. Grandma has adored her from the moment they met. Uncle Blake wouldn't have gotten through that time without her. And now Grace is an amazing grandma to Bri and Kincade's little one. Just like Grandma is to us.

"Fifteen minutes, Aiden. I want her to sleep sometime tonight." Her orders are clear. Giving Grace a salute, I watch her walk out closing the door behind her.

Grandma scoots herself up a bit and waves her arms at us to come over to her. "I'm not contagious, you two. Get over here and give me a kiss."

Rolling my eyes I walk over and take the seat Grace vacated. "You look better."

"I'm fine. Don't you worry about me. I've still a few more years left in me yet. You still owe me a dance." Grandma reminds me.

Looking at her I notice things about that I don't think I ever saw before. Her short hair has changed from the black I remember as a kid to almost a full white now. There's wrinkles on her beautiful face that was once smooth as silk. Her green eyes seem brighter and her face pale. I don't see her without makeup often and even then she always has mascara and lipstick on.

"Did you think you could get rid of me that easily?"  I know what she's doing. Every time things get too tense Grandma has always teased me to lighten the mood.

"I'll take you out for a night of dancing once I can break you out of here." Teasing her back I take hold of her tiny hand noticing how small it is in mine and how thin her skin has become.

"I'm not that old Aiden to not know what everyone's thinking. I'm sorry I ruined the party but I can't regret it when I've learned exactly what your dad has done to this family." She's pissed. I can hear it in the tone of her voice. No amount of joking around can hide that from me. "Riley, honey, come here please."

I'd forgotten Riley was still here. She is so quiet right now and I'm just so distracted with all this family drama. I really wish we could start this night over again and do it better.

Riley comes closer but there's something distant about her. "Mrs Bradford, I'm really sorry about everything that's happened. I feel responsible for your son's outburst..."

"Nonsense! Adam has been a pain in the ass for a while now. I'm sure Blake has filled you in as I asked him to. I've got the board dealing with the mess now but I'm needing your help too. Both of you."

What? What did Blake tell her?

I'll do anything Grandma needs but what does she want Riley to do? All of this is messing with my head right now. I just need some time to process everything. How can she be in the hospital and still deal with her son so calmly? I swear Grandma has been through so much, and each time something else happens she's just that much stronger.