Chapter 25

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 25

Riley

It feels like hours since we left the party. Aiden's father has been gone a while now and it's quiet here in the hospital waiting room. Now all we can do is wait. Normally I relish the little quiet time I get, not tonight. In the eerie dim lighting of the waiting room with it's antiseptic smell and hushed voices, the quiet is too loud. I can't think straight and wonder if any of this would have happened if Aiden had just done what his dad wanted to begin with.

Rationally, I know that none of this is his fault but I can't help those thoughts from creeping in.

It's the middle of the night, everyone in Aiden's family is still here, piled against each other, some sleeping, some playing on their phones. Blake has been quietly conferencing with Jake and Grace, probably over Georgia's condition. Matt and Emma have been in another corner with Cade doing what I assume to be putting out any fires that Adam has caused with the business problems. Above it all, we are all wearing the same expression of tired concern. All of us are worried about Georgia.

No one has said a word to me but I've stayed for Aiden. He made a point to pull me aside to reassure me that he wants me here but his father's words are still with me. Am I holding Aiden back from succeeding in his career? Do the others feel the same? From what Landon, Sawyer and Harper have said about the financial crisis they're in, Aiden is better off without Leighton. Seeing the same look in Chloe's eyes, I wonder if she feels the same.

I'm not sure what to think and Aiden hasn't said much since his father was escorted out in handcuffs. His mom certainly hasn't exactly warmed up to him or me. But then Aiden has all but ignored her. Almost like he knows something but isn't sharing. Keeping a tight grip on my hand like he's afraid of me running away, Aiden's focus is on his conversation with Matt. I only hear bits and pieces, none of it involves me so my eyes wander around the room landing on his mom who is sitting directly across from me just watching.

Her light blue eyes are almost crystal clear as her gaze in my direction is icy cold. She's cool as a cucumber watching me. No fidgeting, no worrying her fingers on her purse or wrap but she sits content and reserved with her emotions. I don't know if I would be this controlled if I just watched my husband go off in cuffs and my mother in law of more than twenty five years is in the hospital because of him. I would think I'd be more upset and worried about my family. She hasn't said a word, she hasn't shed a tear.

The other women around me have cried, comforted their children and held on to spouses or children or parents. Each one, from Hunter to Jim have shown sincere love and care for their family. Chloe Bradford just sits, back stick straight, her eyes void of emotion and focuses on me.

All I can do is brace for her attack and try not to upset the rest of the family in the process. I'm more concerned with Aiden and how he's handling this. He's so quiet and has drawn himself inward as if it's all he can do to hang on. I can't leave him knowing that thin thread of control could snap at any time.

"I need a drink." Aiden mutters more to himself than me.

Needing an excuse to get out of Chloe's gaze, and wanting to help anyway I can, this is the perfect excuse to get me out of the room for a few minutes. "I'll get it. Do you want soda or coffee?"

"Soda, thanks babe." Aiden leans in and kisses my check. Just as I start to get up he tugs on my arm bringing me back down in my seat. "Hey, I'm sorry our date got ruined. I really wanted to dance with you and show you a good time."

"It's okay. None of this is your fault, I won't believe that. I just hope Georgia will be okay." Giving his hand a squeeze, I can feel the hot gaze of eyes on me. I need to get away from here for a few minutes and out from under the microscope.