Chapter Thirty Eight

Start from the beginning

"Today has been fun, we should do it more often."Jamila declared as she washed her hands after doing her business.

"I agree but someone else has to host next time."I replied giving her some paper towels.

"But why, you and Kareem are such good hosts?"She whined.

"Yeah but we have to give someone else the chance to be a good host."I reasoned.

"You're right, maybe I'll host guys next time. Or Silas can, I'd like to see his apartment."Jamila suggested smiling as if she had just had the epiphany of the year.

"He actually lives in a mansion though he's not there a lot because of work."I informed her.

"And it just gets better, let's go back so I can suggest this."She declared walking off.

She took two steps and stumbled, luckily for her I was right behind her and caught her before she face planted and broke a few teeth. She giggled through it all and took my arm so we could walk together.

"I'm getting you some water, it will help with your hangover tomorrow and hopefully sober you up enough tonight."I said pulling her towards the bar instead of the table.

"But I like being drunk."She hiccuped.

"I can tell but the hangover you'll get tomorrow will make you wish you were dead."I reasoned to which she just shrugged.

When we got to the bar, the bartender was busy with another customer so we had to wait for him. Jamila lay her head on the counter and I would have thought she was asleep but she was actually mumbling something about how handsome Silas was and how she would like to taste him. Any other person would have recorded her and used it to blackmail her but I decided to give her a pass just the one time.

A tap on my shoulder had me turning around to come face to face with none other than my ex Kyle.

"As I live and breath, if it isn't Diana Mumbi, I wasn't sure it was you when I was coming over but I just had to check. How are you? It's been a while."He rambled out.

Yeah he was definitely chattier than before and different physically. He was taller, had grown a beard and he was a little round in the middle. He'd added weight and not a little weight, the slim college student I'd dated was replaced by an unkempt slightly overweight man.

"Hi Kyle, it has been a while. How are you doing?"I asked not really comfortable talking to him but it would have been rude to walk away.

"I'm doing great actually, work is great, I'm making a lot of money nowadays."He answered or more like bragged.

"That's good, I'm happy for you."I replied with a tight smile.

Thankfully the bartender approached us before we could talk anymore. I ordered two liters of water and paid for it.

"That's just for you and your friend?"Kyle asked still lurking around.

"No we're actually a whole group. It was nice running into you again Kyle but we have to get going."I said excusing us.

I picked up the ice cold water in one hand before taking Jamila's hand in the other.

"Why are you leaving so fast? I would like to catch up."Kyle asked blocking our path.

He was beginning to irritate me with his overbearing presence.

"My friends are waiting for me."I replied trying to sidestep him but he kept blocking our path.

I was getting tired because Jamila was half lying on me and she was definitely not light and the water was making my hands cold end numb. Kyle being a jerk was just making me mad and increasing my foul mood.