Part 3 Chapter 141

Start from the beginning

"Your grace, you have alchemy class now..."

Maids, attendants, horsemen and, even tutors with certified backgrounds. After multiple assassination attempts, even by the people around me, it became hard to trust anyone.

However, despite their best efforts to break me, every hit only made me stronger.

Perhaps it might have been because of that, I always found it simple to identify people who approached me with ulterior motives.

It didn't bother me as much as it should.

I was neither happy nor sad.

This is who I was, and I have fully embraced it.

Or so, I had thought.

As the years went by, I could sense the void in my life.

For as long as I could remember, I have never had a dream.

Every night when I close my eyes and fall asleep, the world beyond consciousness was a never-ending darkness that stretched over the entire world.

Other than the vivid lack of imagination, nothing was out of the ordinary.

Nevertheless, I could feel it.

I could feel the longing.

The longing for a part of me that was missing.

Still, as life went on, so was I.

That was the case, until the disappearance of the Saintess of Kal.

The Church of Kal, a religion of believers worshipping the great god Theodore.

Centuries ago, the Church was first instigated during the reign of Emperor Philip after the departure of Emperor Arthur as a sign of peace and stability.

The Church, which only had a handful of believers steadily started gaining followers through the passing years with its principles being widespread among nobility and commoners alike.

Nearly two hundred years after the foundation of the empire, a civil war broke out in the east after a severe drought decimated more than half of the crops in the region.

Countless lives were lost in the battle and the disastrous famine, while the lands dried without rain.

Right when things were about to take a turn for the worse, a mysterious young woman with an incredible amount of holy power appeared.

Pure as a delicate pearl and beautiful as a fragile rose, she healed the people with her powers without an ounce of discrimination.

That woman was the Saintess of Kal, who brought an end to the drought with her blessings inadvertently ending the war in the process.

As a result of the incredible feat, the primary faith Temple of Eir declined with the rise of the Church of Kal.

The Vatican was established in the eastern borders and the Church was renamed as the Church of Theodore, worshipping Theodore, the god of beauty and prosperity.

The Saintess became the symbol of the Church and spread its beliefs throughout the continent, increasing its authority equal to that of the imperial family.

While the church was reformed from its roots, the Saintess's title was retained as a sign of the past.

Even though the Vatican was within the territories of Orion, it acted as an autonomous region under the rule of the Holy Pope guarded by the order of Holy Templar Knights.