Chapter-49

Ashton's POV

Arinya and I had a great time at King's Mansion yesterday. Aiden came back home at dinner time and we informed him about the sports day just then. His expressions clearly conveyed his excitement. He used to be a sports fanatic during his schooling days but when things started heading South for him, this interest of his was long forgotten.

Additionally, Arinya texted her friends regarding the plan and I too informed Riyan & Aaron. Luckily, everyone agreed to come as it was a Sunday.

Currently, Arinya and I were on our way to the sports complex that we booked for the entire day. She seemed distracted so I thought of cheering up her mood.

"You're giving me a hard time even in your sports wear." I whispered.

She just gaped at me, unable to find a good reply but her cheek tint said enough. However, moments later she was again back at being distracted.

"Tell me, what is it?" I asked her.

A while later, she heaved audibly and spoke.

"I feel like a coward for am ready to take a legal action against David & Natalia now." She stated.

"Are you alright? Did anything happen?"
I asked worriedly. I wasn't expecting this at all.

"I actually, I had a nightmare last night and it uncovered the emotional wounds. I felt like a coward for letting it all slip away so easily. But for what it's worth, it's better late than never, before they do anything of that sort to some other person."
She explained.

I felt a pang at heart that all of it was revolving in her head. But heck no, she isn't a coward. She's the strongest woman I've known.

Although I made sure that excuse of a man David wouldn't be able to get a decent job anytime soon and is now struggling to even pay his regular bills. However, that isn't any equivalent punishment for what he did to Arinya but I wanted him to suffer in some way until Arinya herself feels the need to take a step. Also I never mentioned about it to her because simply I didn't want to attract any negative energies in her healing process.

"I am with you. Now and forever, we'll together fight every battle."
I whispered and her eyes beamed.

"And Miss Young, you've no right to tag my fiance as a coward. She's incredibly courageous and I admire her with all my might."
I said and she chuckled.

She stared at her lap for about a minute before breaking the silence.

"H--how have you never been affected by my scars negatively?"
She asked out of the blue. I was again taken aback by the statement.

"Is it supposed to affect me?"
I took a quick glance at her before turning my undivided attention back to the road.

A moment of silence curbed the atmosphere.

"Frankly speaking, I myself am not over the terror of it yet along with the physical & mental insecurities that tag along and probably won't ever be fine with it. I...I don't know how to feel confident with imprints of some horrendous memories but you've always been so uplifting."
She admitted truthfully with a hint of helplessness in her voice and exhaled a deep breath.

I couldn't even probably imagine how mentally burdening this sort of situation can be for people dealing with it. It's like a monstrous constant reminder that's etched with you round the clock.

"Ashton please don't get me wrong but...you didn't deserve this in your partner."
She claimed and I wouldn't lie but for the first time ever, her statement angered me.