(48)

The golden sun, poring through the Windows promised a good day, but in Small Heath was there ever a good day?

Florence's eyes slowly opened, a small frown fell across her face as she turned her head to look at the small clock on her stand. It was seven forty-five in the morning.

Flo slowly sat up, stretching her limbs out. She got out of her bed and made her way towards the mirror. She peeled off her nightdress and looked at her body, her eyes shutting for a moment. She turned her back and turned her head, her eyes opening. Flo trailed a finger down one of her scars, her eyes dropping slightly.

She never really did take a look at the after-effects of her father's abuse, until now.

Flo shook her head and grabbed one of her dresses. After she got dressed, she sat down on the bed and tied up the laces on her boots. She just needed to stay brave for Daniel, when she was alone that's when she could be sad and cry, but she needed to be strong for her brother.

Flo left her room and made her way down the spiralling staircase. She pulled her into a ponytail and smiled when she saw one of the maids. Flo made her way into the dining room and frowned when she didn't see Tommy.

"He's gone to London darling". Francis said as she walked in with a bowl of porridge. She placed it on the table and smiled softly at Flo.

"Why's he in London?" Flo asked, a small frown on her face as she sat down, her eyes drifting up to the older lady.

Francis smiled sadly and placed her hand on her shoulder. "Something with politics dear. You get that porridge down you, I think Tommy has got someone to show you the new horse". She said.

Flo nodded and looked down at the porridge. She picked up the spoon with her delicate hands. Flo looked up as someone entered the room. "Hello". Finn muttered, his cap in his hands as he looked at her.

Flo smiled up at him. "Hello, Finn". She said softly, her eyes watching him as he walked towards the window, his back to her.

"I had a very interesting phone call today from Thomas. He said that I had to show you his new Thoroughbred today. That's Tom for you, he tells you to do something you do it". Finn muttered.

Flo frowned and pushed away her porridge, suddenly not hungry anymore. "You don't have to do this Finn, it can wait until another day". Flo said softly.

Finn scoffed and turned around, his eyes harsh. "Well....it's a job isn't it. We can just get this over with and I can get on with my day". He muttered.

Flo opened her mouth slightly, her eyes slightly wide. She was confused. Yesterday he was acting differently. Maybe it was because of what happened with his family, but deep down Florence knew she had done something wrong. But when he jumped to her defence against Lee he confused her even more.

She stood up, her face was sullen. "It's okay, I can see them myself". She snapped as she stormed out of the dining room. She made her way outside, her arms wrapped around herself.

She let out a gasp as she was spun around, Finn's hand on her arm. "No. I'll show you. I don't want your boyfriend on my back, when you go running to him saying I didn't do the job he asked me to do". He snapped.

Flo frowned when she looked at him. "My boyfriend?" She asked. She was so confused, she didn't know what he was talking about.

"Yeah...you heard me. Tommy. I saw you yesterday, your head on his shoulder and his arm around you". He shouted.

Flo looked at him with a hurt expression. She grabbed his hand and pried it off her arm, storming towards the stables. She stepped inside taking deep breaths. Know she knew why he was angry, it was because she lied about being alone at the canal.

Finn followed her inside, his eyes harsh. "Do you always walk away when someone confronts you?" He asked.

Flo turned around to look at him, her eyes full with tears. "Why are you being so mean to me Finn? I'm not dating your brother.....I would never. He was comforting me and I was doing the same to him". She answered.

Finn rolled his eyes, his arms crossing. "It didn't look like that to me". He snapped.

Flo took a deep breath, her fingers running through her hair. "You never answered my question. Do you hate me or something. Have I done something to make you really dislike me? I.....I thought we were finally getting on". She asked, her voice breaking.

Finn was silent for a moment, not knowing what to say to her. He didn't hate her, he just didn't know how he felt about her. He went after her that night to comfort her, to be the shoulder to cry on but when he saw Tommy with her he saw red.

It was silent in that stable, apart from the horses making noises.

Flo turned to a white and grey horse, who's head was sticking out. She smiled softly and raised her hand, gently trailing her hand across its head.

"That's Tommy's main horse. He named it after Grace". Finn explained from behind her.

Flo smiled as she looked at the horse, her eyes soft. "He really did love her didn't he". She whispered.

Finn stared at the back of Flo's head, his jaw twitching. He wanted to apologise for his harsh attitude, but he couldn't find himself saying anything.

Florence walked over to Tommy's new horse, a small smile on her face. Its beautiful coat glistened making Florence smile even more.

They walked around in silence, looking at the other horses, until Flo turned to look at him. "I better go now and get Daniel". She said softly.

Finn nodded his head and watched as she walked out. His eyes shut as he let out a sigh, turning to catch up with her. He got into his car and drove down the road, stopping when he saw her.

"Get in, I'll drive you there and back". He muttered.

Flo smiled softly and nodded her head, opening the passenger door. The journey was silent, there was no talk.

But they both knew they'd speak when they were both ready.