(43)

"I promise you, I'll tell you everything when this is all over. But I can't have you around me, it's too dangerous and I don't want you getting hurt.
Go to the shop, and sit with Polly, Ada, Eddie and Tillie. Wait for me to return and then I will tell you everything.
Finn xx"

Florence kept reading the little note that Finn left her, over and over again. A new glass of whisky was placed in front of her, a small smile on her face as she looked up at Eddie. "Thank you". She whispered.

Florence grabbed the glass as she took a small sip, her eyes meeting Tillie's. The two girls gave each other small smiles, neither of them was real. Everyone was worried in the room, and they had a right.

They all awaited the return of the Shelby boys, and they hoped it was good news.

"Why don't we play a game of cards, keep our minds occupied for a while?" Ada asked, a smile that didn't match her eyes was on her face.

They tried playing cards, but no one was fully interested. The only sounds from the shop was the clock ticking, glasses being put down on the table and an occasional cough.

"Is anyone hungry? I can go home and make some food for us to eat?" Tillie asked, her eyes drifting around the table. Everyone shook there heads, they were too worried to eat.

Tillie sat down beside Eddie, a small sigh escaping her lips. She turned her head to look at Florence once again. Her eyes were on her glass, nails tapping on the glass.

"How about those sandwiches love? Eddie go with her". Polly said, a forced smile on her face. Tillie nodded her head as she stood up, her small hand grabbing Eddie's.

Florence looked down at the note, her fingers trailing over Finn's name and the two small kisses beside his name. A small frown formed on her face, her heart pounding in her chest.

"You okay Florence?" Ada asked from across the table.

Florence looked up, a forced smile making its way across her face. "I'm okay...are you?" She asked, her eyes shifting between the two Shelby ladies.

"Your worried about Finn aren't you?" Polly asked, her gaze sincere.

Florence smiled sadly, her head nodding. "I....I don't really understand what's going on, and I know it's none of my business, but he left in such a rush....that I didn't get to say goodbye to him". She whispered, her voice faint.

"He'll be okay Florence, he's a Shelby boy after all". Polly said. Her hand reached over, grabbing Florence's.

Flo smiled, her head nodding. Not soon after Eddie and Tillie returned. Everyone picked at their sandwiches, no one was really in the mood to eat. They were all nervous and anxious, waiting for the men's return.

Florence rested her head on the table, her eyes shutting. She didn't know how long she was asleep for but when the doors were forced open she stood up straight away, her eyes going wide.

Michael walked in, covered in blood and in his arms was Charles.

Florence and Ada rushed forwards the two of them checking on the young boy, whilst Polly held her sons face. He gave her a small weak smile, before walking away into an office.

"Michael". Polly whispered, following her son.

Ada turned her head to look at her aunt and cousin, her eyes turning to look at Florence with pleading eyes.

"Go". Florence whispered as she grabbed Charles. She watched as Ada rushed after them, shutting the office door behind her.

A small hand reached up, grabbing a strand of Florence's hair. "Hello". Florence whispered as she sat down. Her eyes landed on the little light blue jacket that Charles was wearing, bloody handprints were everywhere.

Florence turned her head to look at Eddie and Tillie. "If Michael's back then maybe....the others will be back soon". Tillie said, her eyes hopeful.

Eddie smiled as he nodded his head. "Yeah....they'll be back soon". He muttered.

Ada stepped out, her hands out for Charlie. "His daddy wants to speak to him". She whispered. Florence stood up as she handed him over, her arms wrapping around her body.

Michael stepped out of the office, his face sullen. They all watched as he walked out of the shop, the door shutting softly behind him.

"You all coming back to Tommy's? We're being Charlie home so he can have a bath and get into his bed before his daddy comes home". Ada said as she rocked the young boy.

Isiah pushed the doors open, his hands grabbing Tillie's face. "Hey sorry I'm just back from preaching with my dad now". He said as he kissed her gently. He turned his head, a wide smile spreading across his face as he saw Charlie.

"Any news on the others?" He asked.

"Arthur, John and Finn are on their way up to Tommy's now. And Tom, he's up on his way he just needs to do something so he's going to be running late". Ada answered.

Eddie rubbed Florence's back, a small smile on his face. "I've got to go, gotta help with the kids in the morning but call me okay?" He whispered.

Florence took a deep breath as she grabbed Tillie's hand. She was exhausted, and worried. The drive to Tommy's manor was long, everyone was tired and no one talked.

"They're here". Isiah whispered.

Florence sat up her eyes latching onto the three Shelby brothers as they stood outside the house. Isiah pulled up, and Florence opened the door. She ran towards Finn, her arms wrapping around Finn's neck.

The force of her hug nearly sent him flying backwards, but he stood his ground. Finn's arms wrapped his arms around her waist, lifting her up slightly. "I was so worried". She whispered in his ear.

Finn shut his eyes, his arms wrapping tighter around her. He couldn't tell her, he couldn't tell her what he had just witnessed.

For now, all he wanted was to hold Florence.