(22)

Hazel eyes fluttered open, the air was cold the fire that was burning the night before long out. Florence frowned as she turned on her back, a loud gasp erupting out of her as she placed her hand on her stomach.

Her eyes shot down to where the pain was coming from. Blood had soaked through her dress. She sat up and let out a hiss as she held her side.

Flo looked around to see that her father wasn't in the room with her. She struggled to stand, the pain getting worse. She leaned forwards, vomiting blood. Tears filled up her eyes, as she let out a blood-curdling scream, her eyes clenched shut.

Florence couldn't comprehend how this had happened, how it had come to this. Her father was a gentleman, a kind god loving man. Now, when she looked at him, the man she once knew wasn't there. Instead, he had been replaced by....by a monster.

The door clicked open and her head shot up. "And then we played hide and seek". Daniel said as the door opened.

Flo looked up to see Daniel and her father walking in. Bartley wrapped his arm around his son, his eyes on Flo.

"Flowy". Daniel squealed as he rushed towards her. He wrapped his arms around her and let out a little giggle. Flo shut her eyes, she didn't want to look at her father.

"Why are you on the floor? Why's there blood around your mouth?" Daniel asked.

He frowned and looked at her dress. "Why is there blood on you?" He asked.

Flo looked down at her dress and forced a smile. "Silly me. I fell down the stairs and just hurt myself. I'll be okay". She answered. She slowly got up from the ground, holding onto her side. Florence fell to the ground again, letting out a gasp.

"Daniel, my boy why don't you go upstairs and wash your hands". Bartley said.

Daniel smiled and rushed up the stairs, leaving Flo and Bartley alone.

Her father walked towards her and grabbed her face softly. "Have I knocked the sense into you that you can't be seeing those people anymore?" He asked, a smile on his face.

Flo nodded her head, tears forming in her eyes.

"Good girl. Here, I need you to go to the shops for me get me a few things". He muttered as he handed her a list and a sack of coins.

Florence looked up at her father, tears flooding her eyes. "I...I can't move daddy". She whispered. The pain was getting too much for Florence to cope with.

Bartley looked down at his daughter and heaved her up. "Get to the fucking shop Florence, I won't ask again". He spat.

Florence nodded and pulled on her coat, limping as she left the house. She had to hold onto anything she could, meaning a wall or a bench.

Flo's breathing was getting worse, as she stopped to catch her breath. Her hand clamped over her mouth, something was coming up her throat. She spat it out into her hands, her eyes peering down at the blood.

"Florence dear".

Flo turned her head, her eyes latching onto an elderly couple. Florence knew them from church, they lived down the road to the Boswell's, a friendly couple.

"Dear are you okay? Would you like us to go fetch your father?" The man asked.

Flo shook her head, standing up straight. "I'm fine". She muttered, pushing herself off the wall. Florence blocked out their calls as she continued to walk.

As she stepped onto garrison lane, the noises around her increased and became louder. Her eyes drifted around the place, her arms wrapping around herself. People stopped to look at her, some with looks of worry, others with pity.

As she pushed the door to the shop open, she let out a loud gasp as someone hit into her side. "Sorry Gypsy girl, didn't see you there". Paul said, a wide smile on his face. His smile dropped as he looked at Florence.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

Flo nodded her head, pushing past him. Paul frowned as he watched her limp over to a shelf, his head turning to the top of Garrison Lane, where the pub stood.

He rushed out of the shop, running up the road. He slammed the doors open, his eyes on the Shelby's as they looked up.

"What is it, Paul? We're having an important meeting right now?" Tommy asked, a look of impatience on his face.

"It's....it's Florence she's fucked up man, she doesn't look that good". He answered.

Arthur stood up first, rushing out of the Garrison. John was next, then Finn and then Tommy. They raced down to the shop, to see Florence struggling as she left the shop.

"Hey darling...you okay?" Arthur asked.

Florence looked up at him, her eyes were bleak. "I'm fine". She whispered, her hand shooting to her side.

Arthur stepped forwards, his hands raised as Florence stepped back. "Hey...I'm not going to harm you okay? Has...has someone hurt you?" He asked.

Florence looked at the Shelby's, her heart beating fast. "No.....no I'm just....I'm fine". She answered.

Arthur turned his head to look at his brothers, a frown on his face. "Well, you want to join us for a drink?" He asked.

"No....I need to get home Mr Shelby". She answered, walking away from the brothers.

"Come on Florence, it's Arthur...you can call me Arthur". He said, following her up the road.

Florence winced as she walked, her side becoming more and more excruciating. "At least tell me what's wrong, maybe I can help". He asked, as he grabbed her arm.

Florence stopped still, her lips clenched shut. "I can walk you home if you like, you look like your going to collapse at any stage. Is it...you know lady things? Ada once nearly ripped my head off when it was her time of the month, told me it was one of the worst pains in her life". He rambled on.

Tommy, John, Finn and Paul finally joined Arthur, their eyes on the young girl. The bag of shopping slipped from her hands, as she slowly fell to her knees.

"Florence". Finn shouted out as he ran forwards.

Florence held onto Arthur's arm, her eyes peering up towards a figure that rushed near her. "No". She whispered, leaning into Arthur a little more.

"Florence my dear, what's happened?" Lee asked as he knelt down. He looked up at the Shelby family, his eyes harsh.

"That's okay, I've got her from here. I was just on the way to her house". He muttered. He picked up the shopping bag, and wrapped his arm around Florence's waist.

"No". She cried out, trying to push him away, but his arm was clamped around her.

"Can't you see she doesn't want to be near you"? Finn shouted, his eyes harsh. Arthur placed his hand onto Finn's shoulder, his head shaking.

"She's just a bit delusional at the moment, she fell down the stairs last night. She will be okay once I get her home to her father and into bed". Lee said, a false smile on his face.

"She needs the hospital, not her father or her bed, or you". Finn shouted.

"Come on Finn". Arthur muttered, his arm now wrapped around his brother.

Finn frowned and watched as Lee half-dragged Florence back towards her house. He knew something was wrong, and he wanted to help.

He just didn't know how.