(8)

Finn waited for Florence, just like he said he was going to. Her bag was on her shoulder, her jacket shoved inside.

"See you in two weeks, Miss Boswell, I do hope that once your back your attitude will be gone". Sister Helen said as she stood at the gate.

Florence looked up at her. "Yes, Sister". She replied, walking away.

Finn smirked as he looked at Helen, his hand running through his hair. "Hello". He said, as he pulled her bag from her.

"Hi, Finn". Florence said softly. She looked around to see all the girls looking at her, most of them whispering. She knew that once they came back to school she would be questioned.

"Where we going?" She asked.

"You'll see". He answered. He turned to look at her, his eyes soft. "How was school?" He asked.

"Boring". She answered truthfully.

Finn smirked as he nodded his head. Florence looked at him, a small frown on her face. "Can I ask you a question?" She asked.

Finn turned to look at her again, his head nodding slightly. "Why are you talking to me? Or even waking with me. Not that I mind, but we don't know anything about each other. We've never talked, you probably didn't even know I existed". She asked.

Finn looked at her, his eyes unreadable. "You intrigue me, you're not like most girls your age. And I've always known you Florence, everyone does. Your the only girl in Small Heath with that hair colour, your someone that stands out from the crowd". He answered.

Florence smiled slightly and looked down at the ground, a small blush forming on her cheeks. She was happy her hair was on her face.

They reached the canal, the weather was actually nice for once, the hot sun beating down on them.

"You want help?" Finn asked as he dropped her bag on the floor. Florence frowned and looked to where he was pointing.

"Wha.....". Florence was cut off as Finn lifted her up, placing her on top of the wall. She looked down at him, his hands sliding down to rest on her thighs. They both looked at each other, the only noises were the birds chirping and the sound of the water rushing by.

Finn took a step back and lifted himself up the wall, turning to sit beside Florence. Her heart was beating fast in her chest, the words she was saying in her head not wanting to come out.

"Thank you by the way...for bringing me home". She whispered.

Finn nodded his head and handed her a cigarette. "That's okay". He whispered back.

Florence inhaled the smoke, gently blowing it out. "Does your father know you smoke?" He asked after a while. The question caused Florence to smirk, her head shaking. "No, he would kill me if he found out". She answered, her head turning to look at him.

Finn nodded his head. "You still want me to tell you what I think of you?" He asked. Florence nodded her head, scared of what he was going to say.

"Your easily led, so if your friends tell you to do something you'll do it because your scared of rejection or conflict. Your loyal, it showed it the day you were leaving the church. You also hate authority, so anything your sisters say or tell you to do you will disobey them. You show your emotions too much, especially with your eyes and your actions".

"What do you mean by that?" She asked, a small frown on her face.

"When your angry, your hands always clench into fists. When your nervous and anxious, you always play with a strand of hair or like what you're doing now, play with your fingers". He answered, his head turning to look at the canal a few feet away from them.

"Is that a bad thing?" Florence asked.

"Yes. I think it shows weakness to show your emotions". He replied, his head turning to look at her.

"So you think I'm weak because I show how I'm feeling?" She asked.

"Well yes, because I can tell my words offended you, and your angry". He answered.

Florence opened her mouth and turned to look at the water, a scoff escaping her lips. "So what...your not weak because you don't show any emotions? I'm sorry for being human Mr Shelby". She snapped as she jumped down from the wall.

Florence let out a gasp as Finn grabbed her arm, pulling her back. She bumped into his chest, her hands resting on his chest. He was now standing, and his tall figure loomed over her.

"You see, you and me, we are very different people. You also get offended very easy, and you have deep anger hidden inside of you waiting to be released. You may show your emotions through your actions, but you don't through your words. You bottle everything up, and it will all come to a breaking point". He said.

Florence looked up at him, lost for words. "You asked me to tell you this Boswell...". He whispered.

Florence pushed him away, her hand grabbing her bag. "Yeah well, I wished I never asked". She muttered as she stormed away.