(25)

❌DISCLAIMER: ALCOHOL AND DRUG USE ❌

A month had passed and Flo's life had gotten worse. She hated everyone moment at home. The only joy she had was Daniel. Her little brother was the only thing that gave her life, the only thing that put a smile on her face.

The beatings had become more and more frequent, and they were over the smallest things. The night before, her father had tripped over one of his boots which caused him to fly in a fit of rage.

Today was her 16th birthday, but there was no reason to celebrate. She had no one to celebrate with.

Everyone at school would comment on how she lost weight, how she stopped talking completely and how she would come to school with bruises. The nuns, of course, didn't care at all.

In reality, the nuns didn't care about the children, they never did. They may have taken an oath to God but not to his creations.

Florence tied her hair up, pulling it out of her face. Her father was more careful, making sure he didn't hit her face at all. It was Friday, so that meant school.

Daniel sang happy birthday to her for the fourth time as she walked him to school, a small smile on her face.

"Make a wish". Daniel shouted as he handed her a white dandelion.

Florence smiled and grabbed the flower, blowing gently. They both watched as the little white dots flew up into the sky.

"What did you wish for?" Daniel asked.

Florence smiled and wrapped her arm around him, her head shaking. "I can't tell you that Dan, my wish won't come true". She answered.

Daniel smiled up at her, his eyes bright. Florence wished she could have the innocence of Daniel, for him to not care about what was happening in the world. Once she dropped Daniel off, she walked slowly to school.

"Sweetheart". Someone shouted out.

Florence turned her head, her face dropping as Edgar rushed towards her. He grabbed her, pulling her into his arms.

"Happy birthday love". He said, holding her tight.

Florence didn't hug back, her arms were clamped to her side, her eyes shut.

Edgar pulled away, a smile on his face. "What are you doing tonight? Let me take you out, we can celebrate. It's not every day a princess turns sixteen". He said.

Florence opened her eyes, her face sad. "I'm sorry Edgar, I already have plans with my brother tonight". She whispered.

"What about tomorrow? We can do something tomorrow?" He asked, his voice urgent.

Florence turned her head to see Tillie and Eddie, dressed in their own clothes. This meant they were skipping school, not bothering to go. Six more people joined them, three of them being Isiah, Paul and Finn, the three other young men were people she had never recognised.

"Earth to Florence". Edgar said, his hand waving in her face.

"I'll get back to you". She said, a fake smile on her face.

That caused Edgar to smile more as he kissed her cheek. "Okay darling, I'll find you tomorrow. Keep a clear mind. Happy birthday". He shouted out, causing people to look at them.

Florence watched as he walked off, his hands in his pockets. Flo's eyes shut for a moment, taking deep breaths.

"So you're going out with Edgar now?" Tillie asked, her eyes on Florence.

Flo opened her eyes, turning her head to look at her....best friend, if she could even still say that. "No". Florence whispered.

"Well, it didn't look like that". Eddie snapped, his head shaking. "After everything I told you, I've warned you so many times. Florence he's not a good person, he'll just use you. Don't come back to me crying when he does". He said, his eyes turning slightly soft.