(28)

Another week in hell had passed for Florence. She spent most of the time, coked out of her brain. She stopped listening in class, which caused not only her classmates but nuns to notice. That meant, more punishments at school.

Of course, the beatings still happened from time to time at home.

Florence hadn't seen any of the Shelby's since her act in the Garrison and she wanted to keep it that way. She was beyond embarrassed, but she couldn't find herself to care. Florence was slowly becoming numb.

Flo sat silently at the table as her father walked in. She looked down at her breakfast, playing with her food. Last night, she received a beating. It was because Daniel accidentally smashed a glass, and she took the beating for him instead.

"I'm going away for two weeks". Bartley said as he sat down, a bottle of beer in his hand.

Flo looked up at him, her eye clenched shut from the black eye she received. Her father was usually careful about where he hit her, making sure the bruises were hidden. But last night he was blinded by rage, that he didn't care.

"I've talked to your school, your having those two weeks off to make sure the house is fine. You'll do the cleaning, cooking. Make sure that Daniel is cared for". He muttered, taking a large swig from his drink.

Flo nodded her head and clenched her lips together. "I'll be going soon. And Florence. People will tell me if you misbehave. Now be a good girl and get me another beer. And take that uniform off, you won't be going in today". He said.

Flo stood up and winced as she went to the fridge. Her side was killing her, and every time she walked it felt like she was stepping on glass.

She placed the beer beside him, and turned to go upstairs. Bartley was quicker as he grabbed her arm, stopping her in her tracks. "And if anyone asks about your eye what happened?" He asked.

"I was helping you in the garden and I fell and hit my face". She answered.

"Good girl". He muttered. Bartley let go of her arm, turning to look at the paper. Flo walked up the stairs slowly. She was happy, two weeks without her father. She didn't care. She knew that they had hardly any food, so she would ask Mrs Hanson if Daniel could stay at her's for a few nights, so she knew he would definitely be fed.

She changed out of her uniform, and slipped into a simple dress. Flo walked down the stairs and placed her hand on Daniel's shoulder. "Let's get you to school". She said softly.

Flo looked at her father to see a case beside him, his eyes harsh as he took another swig from his drink. "I'll be going now. See you later, and remember if the two of you fuck up whilst I'm gone your dead". He shouted.

Flo looked down at Daniel and jumped when the front door slammed shut. "It's just the two of us now buddy". She whispered. She held his hand as they left the house.

"Why did daddy hit you last night?" Daniel asked.

Flo let out a sigh, not knowing her brother had seen the whole incident.

"Was it my fault?" He asked.

Flo stopped walking and held onto his face. "No...no it wasn't your fault at all. Daddy was a bit angry that's all, and he just hit me by accident. But it will be our little secret okay?" She whispered.

Daniel nodded his head and grabbed onto her hand again. They continued the walk to Daniel's school in silence. "Right I'll be right here to pick you up after school okay?" She asked, smoothing out his hair.

Daniel nodded and wrapped his arms around her. "Love you Flowy". He whispered.

"Love you to Dan. Have a good day baby". She whispered back.

Flo watched as he ran over to his friends, a small smile on her face. She didn't want to go home, even with her father gone, she just couldn't go through with it.

She walked down the street, her arms crossed as the wind blew through her hair. She stopped when someone grabbed her arm.

"What the hell has happened to your face?" Arthur Shelby asked, with a look of concern.

Flo looked around, to see Tommy, John, Finn, Isiah and Polly with him.

"I fell when I was in the garden". She answered.

Arthur scoffed and shook his head. "He did this to you didn't he? It's your father". Arthur growled.

Flo shook her head quickly and took a step away. "No. It's not. I fell over and hit my head. I am a pretty clumsy person you know". She repeated, her anger getting the better of her.

"Why are you defending him for? He's hit you. And correct me if I'm wrong but that's not the first bruise he's given you". He said.

"Why do you even care if he hit me or not? You are the one's that have fucked our lives over. You forced the shop from us, and we have lost it because you wanted it. He hasn't hit me okay? I fell. Just leave me alone". She cried out.

"Flo...I do care. Your a young girl. Just...tell me the truth and we can help you". Arthur said softly.

Flo crossed her arms again and let out a laugh. "What you going to do hmmm? Kill him? Your all so hard, walking around like you actually own this place. Violence is all you know, the only thing you know. I'm fine, I don't need help. I'm able to look after myself". She snapped.

"Look dear.....if he has hurt you, we can help". Polly said as she stepped forwards.

"I'm fine. I've said I'm fine I don't know how many times. I don't need you help. If I wanted your help, I would ask for it". Flo snapped.

"Your not fine though are you? You've dropped your friends. You've stopped eating, you don't sleep at night by the bags under your eyes. You're drinking more and your doing drugs. Look what happened a few nights ago, that isn't you. You've changed since the first time I met you Florence. You where so sweet and shy the first time I met you, now your just closed off and cold. Your going to kill yourself, and it looks like you don't care".Isiah said softly.

"People change. And that night.....that night was me letting off some steam". Flo whispered. She looked down at the ground, a wave of sadness hitting her. It was true, people did change. Her father was now a monster, not the old loving man he used to be.

"Letting off some steam? You looked terrible, you looked like a whore that night Florence not....you". Finn said, venom dripping from his words.

Florence looked up at him, her eyes shutting for a moment. Finn's words affected her, and for some reason she didn't know why. Finn's words always had an affect on her.

"I've got to go, I've got plans". She muttered.

"What? You going off to get high?" Finn asked.

Florence looked at him, her eyes going soft. Finn looked at her differently today, he looked worried for her, but still angry. "No". She whispered.

"Has he said your not allowed to talk to us?" Tommy asked suddenly.

Flo stopped in her tracks, a look of hurt on her face.

"It might not seem like it, but we do care. We hate people who beat there children". Tommy said softly to her.

"He's not though. Okay? I'm just a clumsy person who fell. Just please......please stop it". She cried as she turned around.

Flo felt panicked again, like her chest was tightening. She stepped away from the Shelby family and started to walk away, her arms crossed. She just wanted her old life back, Not this.