Oh Tannenbaum

That night, after Josh and I's adventures with the kids, my family decided to open up presents. For actual Christmas, my sisters and I all planned on being with our significant other's families so we planned on doing the traditional stuff early. We exchanged gifts that we had gotten for each other but mostly watched as the kids got presents from my mother. I knew she was happy to let the kids open the gifts early so that they had more to play with for the next couple of days. 

"Here you go guys" my mother said giving both Josh and I a box. I looked to Josh and waited for him to open his first. Inside the red box there was a set of four frosted glasses and a pitcher along side two hand-crafted scotch glasses. 

Josh looked to me in astonishment to which I shook me head letting him know I had no idea. "Thank you, they are beautiful" he said taking one glass into his hand and holding it up as he looked to my mother. 

"Hand crafted in Colorado in a little town we would visit a few times a year. Molly's father and I have always said even if you don't use 'em, a good set of glasses look good atop any bar" my mother explained. "Besides everything tas-"

"Tastes better in a glass" I said finishing my mother's thought and looking up to her earning me a  small smile as she nodded her head at me. It was something my parents said a lot and I had always agreed with. Even water felt crisper out of a tall glass.

"Well I could not agree more. Thank you very much for the gift" Josh said before putting the glass away and moving the box off his lap. "Now you go" he said smiling at me. I knew that smile, something was up and I did not like that I was in the dark about it. 

As I opened the shallow box in front of me, all eyes were locked onto my actions. Under a layer of tissue paper laid a record unlike any I had ever owned. The front had a photo of my dad and I from when I was probably four as I sat on his lap covered in barbecue sauce from the rack of ribs in front of us. Flipping to the back there was a list of songs that reminded me of my father. 

Welcome to the Jungle

Come Sail Away 

Paradise By the Dashboard Light 

Tom Sawyer 

Dust in the Wind 

Let the Good Times Roll

Love is Everywhere 

My hands started to shake a little as I slid the record sleeve from the cover. The sleeve had a note written on it in my fathers hand writing. It was a note he had left me one summer when he and my mom spent three months apart and was one of the few times I remember him telling me he was proud of me. The reverse side said 'pressed with love' and explained a process in which ashes were used to make it. I slid the vinyl out slowly from the sleeve before holding a dark green piece of plastic in my hands. Josh's hand rubbed my lower back as I remained staring silently at the album. 

"Josh helped pick out the songs" Megan said pulling me from my thoughts. I looked up to her and then to Josh. 

"I was not that hard since you have a playlist on your phone dedicate to songs your dad taught you" he said so that only I could hear as he moved closer to me. "It was Jeana that reached out to me with the idea" he said motioning to my mother who sat on the couch with her hands clasped together so tight her knuckles turned white. 

"Thank you mom" I said with a smile. Her hands relaxed as shock flashed over her face for a split second before a smile took over. I knew it had been a VERY long time since she heard me call her that but it felt right. She did not say anything but once again gave me a head nod. "And thank you" I said turning to Josh and planting a kiss on his lips before hugging him tightly. He grabbed the record from my hand and slid it back into the cover before placing it on top of his box. I pulled his attention back to me and kissed him again.