If You Leave Me Now

I awoke the next morning curled up in the love chair in our living room. My body was sore from how I had fallen asleep. Angie and Paige had also fallen asleep in the living room as I saw them curled up on the couch snuggling in each others arms. 

Today was my last day off and I thought about how Angie was worried I was spending too much time in my room. I knew she was right and it had been so long since I had just sat in the sun. Quietly I got up from the chair and made my way to the washer and dryer in the hallway next to the kitchen. Angie had lovingly done a load of my laundry yesterday and I knew I had a pair of shorts and a t-shirt I could change into. The closet next to the laundry had my water backpack that I grabbed and headed to the kitchen to fill it up. I threw some granola into a reusable bag and then into my pack along with water bottle for Frank who I would be taking with me. Before leaving I wrote a note letting Angie know I was heading out for a hike to 'clear my head at my favorite spot.'

Music blasted from my car stereo as I drove down the highway to a state park that was 30 minutes from our house. I checked in for parking as I had a park pass and headed out for my favorite trail with Frankie on his long hiking leash that slung across my body. 

I walked 2 miles stopping occasionally as Frank wanted to sit and watch the birds fly around in the trees. Halfway through the hike we arrived a clearing that had a small rock ledge that looks out on the river. The ledge was only two feet above the sandy part that led into the water so fidler crab holes littered the area. If you were still enough they would come out and walk up to you in the sand. 

Taking a seat on to the rock slab, I watched the water roll in and out and Frank laid down next to me. The sun warmed my skin and I was glad I had packed my bucket hat. This was a place where time did not exist for me the only time I was brought back to reality was when someone would walk by on the nearby trail causing Frank to get up and move to be in between me and the trail as he had been trained to do. I knew I had been sitting here awhile because I had seen three boats go by when this was a river only used my big commercial boats so not many come by in a day. 

Footsteps could be heard walking up the trail but this time Frank did not move from my right to my left side after he turned his head to see who it was, he remained in his relaxed state and his tail started to wag. The sound got closer and I knew they were headed to my area just off the trail. I closed the book I had been reading but did not turn around. "I was informed that I might be able to find you here" a familiar voiced said behind me. I did not respond as Josh came and sat next to me on the ledge only inches between us. "Angie said this is your happy place, that you have dragged her out to this very spot whenever you felt you guys needed fresh air to think."

I glanced over to validate that the voice I was hearing was in fact the dumb elf I had dedicated so much of my time to. He had pulled his hair back into a small pony tail that poked out the back of his hat while he wore some horrendous flag shorts with a white t-shirt. "It is peaceful when no one is talking" I said shortly, turning back to look at the water. 

Josh let out a loud sigh as he leaned back on his hands. I had picked up where I left off in my book when he opened his mouth to talk again, "it sure is beautiful." I looked over and glared at him to indicate I was not into talking. "You know it reminds me of when we went for that little hike the day after everyone found out about us" Josh said leaning forward to be closer to me. 

I remembered the day fondly but kept from smiling as I was still angry at Josh. "Why couldn't you do as I said" I blurted out after a pause. I looked over to Josh who had a puzzled look over his face. "I told you to stay out of trouble that night and you did just the opposite" I said as tears welled up in my eyes. 

"I don't know" he said as his tone cracked. "I was an idiot who drank too much."

"Oh Sara and I talked, I am fully aware" I said closing my book and turning my body to face Josh.